If I Lay Here (Matthew Espinosa)

A/N: This was inspired by an episode in Grey's Anatomy. While listening to this listen to Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol to help you feel more involved. 

I sat beside the hospital bed in the cold bland room. I held onto Matt's hand and stared at him, asleep in the bed with a tube down his throat, which was helping him breathe. "M'am?" I heard a voice from behind me. I wiped my eyes to get rid of the tears before I turned around to see who it was. "It's time...." the doctor said. 

"No please." I cried, tears tuning down my cheeks. 

"Mr. Espinosa is brain dead m'am, he's gone." He explained. 

"But he's warm.... and he's breathing, and I can feel a pulse!" I said, standing up, still holding my husband's hand. 

"That's the life support." The doctor explained. "The tube down his throat his helping him breathe and that's what causes him to be warm and breathe and seem like he's alive." He spoke, then paused, taking a deep breath. "I'll send in nurse to shut down the machines." The doctor said, before leaving. Soon a nurse walked in. I sat back down on the chair and cried holding onto Matt's arm, staring at him, thinking about all the beautiful memories we made together. 

~~~~~

"So what's your story?" A hair with dirty blonde hair and a nice smile asked me as he sat down on a chair next to me at my friend's party.

"I'm just a girl at a party." I spoke, smiling at him. 

"And I'm just a boy at a party." He spoke, smiling even wider towards me. "What's you name?" he asked me, scooting closer to me on the couch. 

"Y/N" I spoke, as he put his arm around me softly.

"Beautiful name," the boy said, "I'm Matthew." he spoke.

~~~~~

Matt and I sat on the hood of his car, with a blanket rested beneath us and we stared off the hill and looked at all of small lights in the city nearby. "Wow look at that view." I spoke, staring at the lights. "It's so beautiful." I said, speachless. 

"Not as beautiful as you though." Matt spoke in a quiet voice. I blushed incredibly, looking up at him and he stared deeply into my eyes as I stared into his. He started to lean in slowly, getting a bit tense from the nervousness.  I leaned in as well and I soon felt his lip on mine, our two lips moving in perfect unison. Matt's arms wrapped around my was it, pulling me closer to him and soon moved them up to my cheeks, intensifying the kiss. I felt my stomach blow up as if fireworks were inside it.

~~~~~

"I love you Y/N" Matt said as he kneeled down on one knee. I put my hands over my mouth, speechless and tearing up. "And you make me the most happy man alive and I want to marry you and have children and grow old together." He spoke, staring up into my eyes. "I can't see my future without you, so Y/N-" 

"YES YES YES!" I yelled cutting him off and jumped into his arms, crying tears of joy into his shoulder. Matt chuckled before kissing my cheeks with kisses all over, causing me to laugh. Matt slipped the ring onto my finger and soon kissed em passionately. "I love you," I spoke, smiling wide.

"I love you too." I said. 

~~~~~

My four year old child Charlotte continued to scream and cry, throwing a tantrum because I wouldn't get her the doll she wanted. "MOMMYYYYY!" She screamed loudly. 

"Charlotte stop please," I said, in desperate need for some help. I heard the front door open and soon close. I turned around and looked down the hallway to see my husband Matt walk over to me and Char. "Please help me out here." I spoke. "I didn't get her the American Girl Doll at the mall so she's throwing  a tantrum." I explained. 

Matt took a deep breath before he walked over to Char and picked her up, resting her on his hip. "Sh sh shhhh." He said and as if his words were magic, Char stopped crying and yelling and calmed down, resting her head on Matt's shoulder. He put his finger on his lip, signaling me to stay quiet. Char closed her eyes and soon fell asleep. Matt set her down on the couch, covering her with her blanket then kissed her forehead. 

"Oh my god what would I do without you." I said, taking a deep breath. Matt chuckled before he put his arm around me then kissed my temple. "I'm so lucky I have you." I spoke, looking up at him.

"I'm the lucky one." He spoke, chuckling as he snaked his arms around my waist. I put my arms around his neck and said, "God what would I do if you left one day." I said, as the idea hit me.

"Sh sh shhh." he siad, "Don't say that."

"What if though??" I asked, tearing up at the thought, and looked up at him. 

"Don't worry about it because you aren't getting rid of me that easily." Matt spoke, smiling, before he leaned down to kiss me softly.

~~~~~

"Wait." I said to the nurse before she took the tube out. 

"M'am." She said.

"I said wait." I spoke sternly, causing her to back away from my husband. 

"Matt." I spoke, as if I were trying to wake him up. "Matthew." I said again. "Espinosa!" I yelled. Nothing happened. I broke down and fell back down into the chair and cried hysterically. I looked back up at him then shook my head. "You told me you wouldn't leave...." I said. "You said that I wouldn't get rid of you that easily...." I said, struggling to compensate what was really going on.... My husband was dead.....

After a few minutes I came to my senses and stood up to caress his cheek. "I love you." I spoke, "Charlotte loves you too...." I said, then took a deep breath. "We'll be okay....." I said. "You can go...." I said, then the nurse took the tube out of his mouth then he took one last deep breath. "I love you so much." I cried into his shoulder, as I felt my heart break into a million pieces.