Nightmare

I was back on the surface, a field of daisies swaying easily. A white dress clung to me in the wind, my hair lifting easily with it. Few clouds filled the sky and the sun shined warmly over everything it touched. It was peaceful.

An overwhelming calm eased me, like it was this calm that kept the world spinning. I took a breath and sat in the flowers, looking up at the empty sky. It felt as thought I was supposed to be doing something there, but not a single hint came to me about what it was. 

I closed my eyes and breathed, the breeze leaving me cool. A child's cry startled me upward into a sitting position. I immediately darted to my feet and looked around, trying to pin the location of the scream. My legs carried me and I ran, ran as hard as I could. My heart pounded against my chest as the cry came again. As I neared, the child came into view. I couldn't see their face but I saw their attacker. A skeleton who was abnormally tall standing a distance away from the child. They were familiar, but I couldn't place what they meant to me.

I just followed the cry and let my instincts act. "Stop!" I screamed. "You're hurting them!"

The monster looked at me and raised his skeletal brows. "I'm not hurting anyone." He said in an innocent voice.

I felt the child cling to my leg and cry. "Please help me, that monster attacked me. He hurt me."

I looked at the monster with a questioning look. "You say you didn't hurt them, but here I find them crying and hurt."

"I SWEAR UPON MY HONOR I DID NOT HURT THE HUMAN CHILD!" He proclaimed.

The child winced as the monster spoke, hiding behind me. I felt cold metal press against my palm and I looked down to find a knife in my hand. The child had put it in my hand. "Kid, where did you get a knife?"

He pointed in front of me, at the skeleton. "I stole it so I could fight back." He said.

The knife felt cold and wrong in my hand and I looked at the skeleton. "Tell me the truth," I hissed, trying to sound threatening.

He stepped to me slowly, and smiled shyly. "You may not believe a monster over your own race, but I swear, I'm telling the truth."

He took another step closer and I took one back. His steps became larger as he tried to close in on me. "Please trust me, I-"

I felt the knife drop from my hand and I watched as the skeleton's eyes became sad. I looked down and saw the child, blade in hand, and suppressing a giggle. I felt his name return to my memory and I cried out as he fell against me.

"Papyrus no!" I yelled, catching him as best as I could.

He smiled weakly. "It's okay Cherry. I forgive you."

The words broke my heart and I watched Papyrus turn to dust, my dress becoming stained with gray ashes. My heart trembled and a felt hot tears on my cheeks. I whipped around and looked for the child. But it had vanished from the scene.

My legs were unstable as I reappeared in a room lined with columns and stained glass windows. Sans stood against a pillar farther down and I moved forward slowly. I was steps away when his head snapped towards me, an empty grin on his face. "Hello Cherry." He said with fake enthusiasm.

A red scarf was wrapped around his neck and my neck closed in on itself. "S-Sans? What's going on? P-Please tell me what happened?" I asked shakily.

His entire demeanor radiated hate and loathing. His gaze was empty of emotion and his grin seemed to be more of a snarl. "D-Don't act innocent Cherry. I knew I couldn't trust you."

"But what did I do?!" I asked.

As the words left my mouth, memories emptied into my skull and I felt myself crumble to my knees. Horrifying images of slaughter after slaughter filled my mind and I screamed. Sans seemed amused as I lived through the 'memories' I had just found.