Part 48

Lisa's POV

It was creeping closer to 7. I'm getting anxious. No one was at my house right now so I knew it would give us a chance to talk.

I haven't had a real conversation with him in almost a year. When he showed up at my door today, I was sad and happy and angry all at once. All of the feelings I had held in this past year about him had come out the second I saw him. It was confusing and draining but somehow it also made me just want answers.

My thoughts were broken up when I heard a knock on the door. I went to answer it to see Logan standing there with a shy smile on his face.

Lisa- "Hey." I said nervously. I spoke up again right away to avoid awkward silence.

Lisa- "Come in." I said as I led him into the house and we sat on the couch. We sat there for a few moments and he finally spoke up. He spoke calmly as if this was just another normal conversation.

Logan- "I'm sorry Lise. I know I came here earlier and barged in. I shouldn't have just showed up without calling but I didn't know what else to do."

Lisa- "I thought you were in Colorado. What are you doing here? Why would you do this now?" I asked slightly annoyed. I raised my voice getting more irritated when I continued. This was all the emotion I had bottled up finally coming out.

Lisa- "I called you so many times. I called you night after night and left message after message! I loved you! All I wanted to do was hear your voice and know that you were okay. You didn't even care! You never even looked back! You left me and then acted like I never existed. How could you leave me and then not even return one call? Or check on me once? Or at least respond and tell me that you were okay!"

Logan- "I couldn't call you Lisa. You had to get better. You had to heal for yourself, not for me." He said calmly, never raising his voice.

Lisa- "You wanted me to heal but you didn't want to be there through it?" I asked calmly, trying to understand. He looked down and shook his head.

Logan- "Just because you didn't see me, doesn't mean I wasn't there." I was confused by what he meant but I didn't ask. Instead I brought up what I really wanted to talk about.

Lisa- "There's a reason I called you... I love him Logan. I loved you. I did. But now I love him... I have to give this back to you." I pulled the key necklace out of my pocket. I grabbed his hand and placed it gently in the center of his palm.

Logan- "I told you I didn't want this b-" I cut him off before he could finish. I spoke quietly.

Lisa- "I can't keep it Logan...Brandon and I are talking about taking the next step. I want to get married at some point. I can't marry him when I'm still holding onto you." He closed his hand, clasping the key.

He looked up and locked eyes with me. We weren't saying anything but I could feel him inching closer to me. He looked from my eyes, down to my lips. He crashed his lips against mine. I was tense at first and then eventually leaned into the kiss. Our lips moved in sync, connected for a while before he pulled apart. His touch lingered on my lips. He spoke quietly, almost whispering.

Logan- "I love you. I checked on you. I checked on you all the time. I blew up peoples phones trying to find out if you were okay. When I left, I made Matt and Bri make sure that you were okay. I never stopped caring. I never left you behind to not look back. I looked back every single day. Every time I called our friends I would ask about you. I just couldn't ask you because I would have stopped the process of you getting better. I would have held you back and I made the decision to never do that to you again. I did that because I love you and I couldn't stop loving you... But if you love him more than you love me, I will respect what you guys have... Tell me that you don't love me. Say those words and I will leave. I'll let us go."

Lisa- "I can't say that. Some part of me will always love you. But I love him now... You have to let me go because now I'm free, and I love him. I choose him." He nodded his head once as he looked down.

Logan- "I get it... He's going to give you a ring. All I gave you was a key... Just know that when I gave you that key to put around your neck, it was with the same feeling that he will have when he puts a ring around your finger." His words made me tear up. My eyes were puffy and blurred because the tears had formed but had not yet fallen. My voice cracked when I spoke up.

Lisa- "You are amazing. But we were so fragile. I want to get married... and some part of me wondered if we would ever even make it to getting married or if we would crumble before we had the chance." He stood up off the couch, walked a few steps then faced towards me.

Logan- "Do you remember the week that my sister was gone and you helped me watch Lucas?"

Lisa- "Yeah." I said with a shaky voice and tears still in my eyes.

Logan- "We were talking about kids and how we wanted to be together forever. You said I would be a good dad and I knew that you were going to be an incredible mom... Well a couple weeks after, I bought you this. I didn't know when I was going to give to you. I just knew that I would at some point." He paused for a second then pulled something out of his pocket.

Logan- "You gave me back the key because you feel like it's mine. You feel like you are holding onto me if you keep this key... Well I bought this for you. I bought it a long time ago, but I want to give it to you. I couldn't keep it, I wouldn't return it and I wouldn't ever give it to someone else...[pause]... If you really want to know how I feel, this is it. This is how I feel both back then and right now. Nothing about my feelings have changed. And that kiss just reassured it." He set a small box on the table in front of me and walked towards my door. When he reached the front door he turned his head to the side to look back over at me. His voice was trembling from the tears.

Logan- "I was going to ask you. It was always you. I knew that we could make it. But I guess now we won't have the chance too... Just know that you were the best decision I've ever made. That box on the table was how I was going to prove it." He opened the door while a tear ran down his face, then walked out.

I reached for the tiny box and opened it. I never knew he had it. After all this time, I never knew that he was even thinking about it.

It was a ring...

A/N
I know I never put a ring buying scene in the book but I did that intentionally!! I didn't want to spoil this part in the book ahead of time because you guys may have been able to guess what was coming! What do you guys think?! Comment and let me know below!