Chapter 26

Walt’s POV

There are always drawbacks in the human body. You fall too hard; you break a bone. You’re stressed or have serious anger issues; you might die of cerebral hemorrhage. You kiss someone, eventually you have break off for oxygen.

But then sometimes, you don’t really care about what your body needs. I was kissing Nat and she wasn’t stopping me. I think I dreamed about this moment for about two weeks at least. I was allowed to be selfish okay? We probably pulled away from breath twice. We would both gasp and then one of us would push our lips back together. Sue me; I was kissing the best thing to grace this planet. I didn’t need any type of encouragement for indulging.

It was like a high. The feeling of her arms around my neck, her lips pressed against mine, my arms around her waist was making my head fuzzy. I mean, true I’d get into trouble for this. But for now, my brain felt like it was melting. I couldn’t care less about what the future held for me.

Best part was that Nat was a good kisser. There was so much we both wanted to say and there was just so much going on in our lives. We probably sat there for ten minutes, in heated kisses. Thank God, the park wasn’t that full today.

Like I said before, the human body has drawback. We had to eventually break apart. After that all the bad luck in the world got shot my way.

“Nat…” I breathed. Her lips were puffed. She was breathless and her entire face was pink. She looked beautiful.

“Walt…” Her voice cracked; almost as if she was about to break down right there and then.

The full impact of my actions hit me in the face.

“I’m so sorry. I swear I-”  I had kissed Nat. Nat was my best-friend. I was friend-zoned. Nat had a boyfriend. Why does all this happen to me?

“Take me home.” She whispered. I felt my heart shatter into a billion pieces right there. She didn’t like me back. I rubbed a hand across my face and attempted to grab her hand with the other one. She pulled it away lightning fast and turned to face the front. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I think I just ruined the great friendship between us.

“Okay. C’mon, I’ll drop you back home.”

The car ride was silent. We didn’t eve turn the radio on. I was caught up in my thoughts and Nat in hers. This had to take the prize for most awkward moment in the history of awkward moments.

I parked in front of Nat’s house. Nat’s face was pale and she was playing with her fingers. I opened my mouth to apologize but Nat had other plans. She ripped her seatbelt off, and literally ran out of the car. She probably broke some world record or something.

“Nat…” I called out just before she reached her porch. She turned and looked at me nervously. “I’m so sorry.” She shook her head and raced into the house.

Way to make a guy feel good.

The drive to my place was worse. The constant feeling of loneliness kept poking my side. A painful reminder of what just happened. I think I might have pressed a little too hard on the keyboard outside the gates too.

I walked through the doors of the house to see Gran walking in the direction I had just come from. I paled.

“Gran.”

“Walt dear, are you alright? You look like you’ve seen a ghost!” She gave me a nervous smile. Nat had the same smile. The smile that said ‘I know I’ve got what it takes, I’m just afraid to show people.’ I loved that smile.

“I am so sorry.” I practically shouted in her face. She looked taken aback for a minute before confusion colored her face.

“Okay? Why are you sorry?” One thing about my dysfunctional family was that we all rambled when we got nervous. Usually girls found this endearing (Nat did too), and it worked out in my favor.