Chapter 30

A/N: This is probably the second last chapter before the epilogue. I’ll keep everyone updated on the whole thing. EID MUBARAK EVERYONE (kinda late but whatever)!

Walt’s POV

I felt as if a rock had been pushed off my chest. Those three words cut of all the pent up worry and anxiety in my head. I turned my head to look a Nat. Her face was expressionless and there was noise all around me. I saw her steal a glance at me from the corner of her eye before sitting back down. The judge then proceeded to continue with the community service I would have to do for DUI or something. In all honesty, I couldn’t really care. I wasn’t going to jail and that’s all that matters. Now, if I could convince Nat to become officially mine, then we’d be good.

.

.

“Walt!” Madeline’s petite frame crashed into me. For someone so small, she could give a mean hug. The police officer was still opening my handcuffs so I couldn’t hug her properly. She let go and slapped me. Ow.

“What the hell was that for?” I gaped at her. Dad, the ever s gracious, laughed in the back.

“I swear to god, if you ever put any of us through that ever again…” She let the threat slide but my arms were free so I tugged her into another hug. She sighed and rubbed my back. Dad cleared his throat when we finally let go.

“Hey.” I did an awkward wave. He jutted his hand out and I grasped it firmly. Men didn’t hug.

“C’mon Walt. We’re going home.”

-----------------

I woke up the next day to see Nat on the news. Again. The screen in the dining room was on with the morning news and it had a picture of Nat with big letters, ‘BREAKING NEWS’ on it.

“What happened now?” I ran a hand through my hair. Part of my probation included that I had to be tailed by an authoritative figure at almost all times so if I wanted to go out, I’d have a cop on my tail.

“Nathalie’s been moved back to the hospital again.” I chocked on my coffee as Dad announced the news.

“What?”

“Mhm… Apparently, she fainted and her blood pressure went too low. Oh and the doctor said that if she pukes anytime in the three day period after her release, she could have possible brain damage. And, well, she kind of did throw up as soon as they got home.”

“How do you know all this?”

“I spoke to Taylor. And some of it is public news.” I cradled my head in my hands. What in the name of lord had I done that day?

“Can I go see her?” Hesitation flickered across Dad’s face. “I wanna apologize to her. I practically ruined her life so the least I can do is say that I’m sorry.”

 Dad sipped his juice and pursed his lips. After a few moments, he said,

“Fine. But I’m driving you there.”

Oh yeah.  Did I forget to mention I wasn’t allowed to drive?

---------------------------------

Thankfully, Dad and I avoided all the cameras and press in the front by going through the ER. The nurses didn’t glace at us and we didn’t try to make a show of ourselves. I had on my hoodie so I figured the best way was to keep it over my head.

“Which room is Nathalie Taylor in?” Dad checked with the receptionist while I watched the news camera’s outside. That was the problem with small towns. There wasn’t much to do and when something major did happen, everyone in a fifty mile radius was interested in what happened. I was willing to bet three quarters of the cameras outside didn’t even belong to The Shallow Lake Paper.