Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Nat's POV

Walt called in sick the next day. Sick my arse. He was probably having a really bad hangover. Loads of people were absent actually. The excuse? The flu. I rolled my eyes.

Lucas got away with the party because his parents were out of town visiting some relatives. So naturally, he needed to get a little so he threw a party. Mentally rolling my eyes at the whole charade, I walked into lunch.

Katie bumped my hip.

"Hi gorgeous,"

Her and Jason had officially broken up but they'd decided to be friends. So far, it was going okay. I mean, Mary told me this; there was no extra tension or whatever between the two. They acted as if their whole relationship had been a dream. Jason was back to his player ways and Katie was back to her life.

"Hi Katie. One New York Deli please," I spoke to the lunch lady at the end.

"Hey listen, did you find a dress for next week?"

It took me a minute to pick up what she meant by 'next week'.

"Oh... Um no. Walt said he'd come with me this weekend but I dunno. Partied himself out of his mind yesterday,"

"You were there? At Lucas' yesterday?"

Like I'd ever go.

"Nope, I got a drunken call,"

Katie laughed, "Walt's certainly a thing, isn't he,"

"If you're into him, I'll drop in a word or two," I winked at her. We were sitting at table by now and I saw her choke a bit on her energy drink. She composed herself and gave me an 'I'll get even' look.

"Don't worry. He's yours. I got it,"

Her laughter and my attempts to hush her echoed in the hall.

------------------------------------------------

As soon and I got home, I picked up the newspaper and flipped over to the Classifieds section. I was running short on money; I needed a job. And I needed one fast. I read through the options. There weren't many. Down side of living in a small town: everyone was already cozy. There wasn't much room.

Most of the jobs they had were either disgusting (maids for some store, really?) or they were out of town.

I considered the out of town ones; they weren't that far. Westin, the closest town, was about forty five minutes from Shallow Lake. I suppose I could go for that assistant librarian opening. It would be tiring though. That's the only thing that held me back.

NATHALIE PICK UP THE PHONE

IT'S WAAALT

PICK UP PICK UP PICK UP

I screamed. Where did that come from? The last time I checked, I didn't have a custom ringtone for Walt. Especially not one that was so loud.

"Holy Shit Walt. What in the name of god was playing?"

"Hahaha, you heard it huh?"

"I think my neighbors heard it too..."

I heard him laugh again.

"When did you put it anyway?"

"Remember when I was taking pictures with you on your laptop?"

I frowned trying to remember the day.

Oh yea! Walt and I were sitting in free period last week. I was finishing up an assignment and Walt was commenting on how stupid all his assignments were. And then later he closed my document and started taking selfies with my camera. Some of them had actually come out nice. I smiled.