Chapter 19

Chapter 19
A/N: UNEDITED SORRY. Super busy with my new baking hobby. The new cover is made by scrittice (dedication!). Check out her profile :D

Nat's POV

The excitement over the news of Walt and Cali's break up lasted roughly two days. After that it just became the usual. Girls would hit on Walt. Said boy would probably either hook up with them or he'd say that he'll call. Walt seemed to be back in his home turf. It was a bit unnerving to watch. He'd sleep with a girl and then the next morning, she'd be history.
"You okay?" Walt looked up at me. We were sitting in my room doing calculus homework. Walt was now un-grounded because he aced his last three tests courtesy yours truly.
"Yea fine," I looked down at the equation in front of me. My birthday was coming in two days and I'd gotten a very direct IM from Dad asking if I liked black or white. I chose white. And usually by this time Mary, Jess, Katie and Rachel would be over almost everyday trying to figure out what I wanted for my birthday. Last year, after a total week, they all needed up getting me backstage passes and front row tickets to The Cab. It was the best concert ever.
"I can tell when you're lying to me,"
"I'm not lying to you. Seriously, nothing's bothering me directly. I have a lot on my mind,"
"Do I have anything to do with that?"
"Not really, no,"
"Oh okay. Look I know we haven't talked properly since last week but I've been a bit... Um busy,"
"I heard. Who's the girl of the day?" I mumbled. I'll be honest. It was a little bit irritating having to listen to Walt's name everywhere. He's my best friend and all but seriously there's only so much I can hear his name. Everywhere I went, 'oh Walt's single now I hope he asks me out' or something along those lines. Some girl from the freshman class came up to me and was like 'oh Nathalie, you're friends with Walt right? Can you drop my number to him?'
Who did she think I was... The postal service? I rolled my eyes.
"What's that supposed to mean?" Walt threw his pen into his book and turned to look at me fully. I shot him a look and stared writing the solution to my equation.
"Girl of the week. It's slang between students. Refers to which girl you're taking home today. Speaking of which, it's Friday. Shouldn't you be wasted at a party?"
"You're my best friend and you're saying things like this. That's just sad. Don't you have tables to weigh and tips to collect?"
"I don't work on Fridays and Tuesdays." I leaned over to my bag and picked up my ringing phone. It was Nick. I nudged Walt to wait.
"Hi Nick!" I felt Walt's muscles tighten.
"Hello gorgeous. Can I ask you for a favour?"
"Depends,"
"Think it's okay if you could come over to a friend's house tomorrow? I could speak to Mel, I know you've got work on Saturday evenings,"
"Don't mind me asking, but why?"
"There's a party and um loads of the guys were saying how great you were and wanted to meet up again,"
"A party? You want me to come to a party?"
"That's the general idea,"
"I guess that could work. I'll get back to you yea?"
"That's cool. Just tell me before 7 tomorrow."
"Definitely. I just have to check all my assignments and stuff.. You know school work,"
"Oh yea. Lame junior assignments," I heard the teasing in his voice. I smiled unconsciously. This made me happy, Nick and his constant teasing.
"Totally. Like high school crap." He laughed.
"Oh god Nathalie. You really are something aren't you?"
"I dunno about that but I can tell you I'll kick your arse the next time you try and gimme a drink,"
"Duly noted. Hey look, I gotta go okay. I'll call you later."
"Bye," I needed the call to see Walt frowning at me. I raised my eyebrows in question.
"So I'm taking you're busy tomorrow evening." He dropped his head to his work.
"I didn't say yes. I said I'll see,"
"I've picked up enough girls to know what that means..." What the hell is he trying to say?
"And what does that mean then? Since you're an expert,"
"You'll go. Course you will. You're teasing him by saying that. Getting his hopes down. So that later, you can exceed his expectations or blame him."
"Blame him?" Walt's constant bitching on Nick was irritating me.
"Yea. For example if Mel gives you a lecture that you're taking too many offs, you'll blame it on him." Now I understood what he was saying.
"Are you saying that women are like... I dunno manipulative? For lack of better word,"
"No. I'm saying you're flirting with him. And you like it when he compliments you or flirts with you." What in the name of god was he going on about?
"So what if I do?"
"I'm just saying. Be careful,"
"I will do whatever I want!"
"I'm not gonna force you to do anything. I'm just saying, I know what's he's like."
"You're just like him you know."
"I think it's time I left." Walt and I were both on the tip of rage and honestly he was smart. Leaving right now was a good idea.
"I think so too,"