Chapter 16

A/N: it's a long one this time! sorry for the wait everyone. enjoy :)

Walt's POV

I don't ever think I've seen Dad so mad. As soon as Nat walked out, Dad got up to talk to her but Gran stopped him. She put her head in her hands for a moment. I'll admit I did feel guilty. Nat had mentioned it once that her broken family was one her biggest insecurities. And I just exploited it.

I definitely won't be getting the best Friend award this year.

Gran sighed into her hands.

"Give her a minute Andrew. She'll need to compose herself before anyone talks to her,"

Dad sat down and glared at me.

"Walt you should be ashamed of yourself!" I opened my mouth but nothing came out. I looked down at my lap. Dad continued.

"Honestly, don't you know better than that? How would you feel if someone went up to you and said something like that?"

"Andrew... Don't be hard on the boy." Gran spoke up. "He was angry and he snapped. You were a teenager once, you should know."

"But exploiting someone's secrets like that? That's poor."

Gran sighed.

"It's not Walt's fault. It's mine. I'm sorry Taylor." Madeline spoke up. She's been so quiet this whole time, I'd almost forgotten she was there. Everyone looked at her, myself included.

For the next few minutes everyone argued over whose fault it was. Gran in my favour, Dad against me, and Madeline blaming herself. After about five minutes, Gran got up to wash her face, that had become red in the past few minutes. That left me, Dad and Madeline in the same room.

Talk about awkward.

"Walt, want you to go apologise to Taylor. And then apologise to Nathalie. Understand?"

I nodded my head and went to find Gran.

Gran was in the main kitchen. There were kitchens below as well but there was a nice big one on the ground floor too. She was drinking water when I walked in.

"Hi Gran,"

She set her glass down, "hi Walt,"

Standing in front of Gran I realised how much she has done for Nat. And then with what I said, I couldn't bear to look her in the eye.

"Walt, look at me."

"I can't,"

"Did Andrew tell you not to?" I grinned at that.

"No, but I feel bad. It was insulting towards you because... I mean, like you did so much for Nat. And then, you know..."

She walked over and put her hand on my shoulder. It reminded me of something Mom used to do.

"That's okay. Trust me, I'm not mad at you. I've heard way worse from... others,"

The way she said others, I guessed she meant from Nat's dad. I looked up at her. She smiled.

"Yea, but that doesn't mean you should hear more!"

"Walt. Does it look like I'm mad at you?"

"No,"

"And I'm not. I think you should be apologising to Nat,"

"Like she'll forgive me. Ever,"

"She'll forgive you. But it'll take work."

"Gran? I um don't really know what to say to crying girls..."

" I'd suggest some of that cake we could smell. That might work. Oh, and be careful okay?"