|forty-six|

I stared at my reflection in the full length mirror. I had on a dark blue dress that flowed loosely all the way down to the floor. The fabric slipped on my shoulders, showing a little bit of skin and the sleeves went to the middle of my forearm.

"Your highness, how do you feel?" a handmaiden asked, walking up behind me.

"Fine Lola." I lied. Truthfully, I wasn't fine I was exhausted and still hurting over the fact that Anakin and I are apart. It had been three weeks since I had to return to Altre. I was surprised to see how things were coming along here, I had wished that I could have helped with the clean up.

I had taken my rightful place as Queen once more and was ready to finally protect my people. Of course they were happy to see me return. But it broke me to see how I left them in their time of need. So many of them were hurt or worse...and I just left them for my own safety. How selfish.

So no...I was not fine. But I wouldn't admit that to anyone.

"What shall you do today miss?" Lola asked. I shrugged my bare shoulders and turned to face her.

"Probably just go around town and make sure everyone is doing well." I said, there really wasn't anything for me to do. The handmaiden just nodded as a response and allowed me to do what I pleased.

It felt empty and lonely here without my mother. I really did miss her. I felt a tear build up in the corner of my eye but I didn't allow it to roll down my cheek. I stepped out of my home to feel the warm breeze on my skin and clearing my head a little bit.

Eventually, I made my way to the town to see really nothing left after the accident. But my people have made some progress, rebuilding everything and helping each other out.

"You highness, what brings you here?" I heard someone utter. I snap my head to the left to see a young man glaring at me. His short dirty blonde hair was ruffled and messy, his face was dirty along with his clothes.

"I wanted to make sure everyone was doing well." I answered him. I studied the man who was about my age, maybe a year or two older. I had never actually seen him before, I didn't know who he was. I know everyone in this specific town.

"I'm sorry...I don't think we've met." I said, quickly sticking my hand out for a friendly shake. He wiped his hands on his pants before taking my hand in a firm yet gentle shake.

"I'm Hendrix Kohan." he says swiftly. I gave him a warm smile before dropping my hand at my side.

"How come I haven't seen you around town before?" I asked. I had trust issues now due to obvious reasons.

"I'm far the Eastern part of Altre. Once I heard what was going on, I made my way over here to help." he explained. Although I wasn't sure if that was true or not, I let it go. A lot of people for other parts of Altre came to help out after the disaster.

"Well, thank you Hendrix. I appreciate the help." I said before turning around.

"Uh-Wait your highness!" I heard the male shout. I turned my head over my shoulder to see him taking long strides over to me.

"Yes?" I asked. What could he possibly want?

"I could use you help." he started. I furrowed my eyebrows, not saying anything to let him explain a little further.

"I have a friend here and her mother was injured pretty badly. She's still not doing too well and if you could help us get some medical assistance, that would be wonderful." he said.

I knew that there was very little medical assistance at the moment and a lot of injured. So of course I nodded my head. I had a little medical experience so even if I couldn't get a professional to help Hendrix, maybe I could.

Hendrix lead me though the town and towards a small house. It looked unsafe to even be near this house since it looked like it was ready to topple over.

"Don't worry, its stayed on its feet for a few weeks now." Hendrix said. I still hesitated to enter the home after Hendrix but I knew that I would have to eventually. Once I walked into the house, the air found its way into my lungs. It was muggy and cold in here but I didn't have time to worry about myself. In one corner of the room was a small bed with an older looking lady laying in it. At her side was a girl who looked my age, possibly younger.

"Clara, this is Queen Corinna." Hendrix said to the young girl. She snapped her head at the sound of the male's voice. A smile grew on her face the moment she saw me. The girl jumped to her feet and embraced me in an unexpected hug. I stumbled back a little but regained my balance quickly.

"Oh my goodness." she said, pushing herself off of me.

"I am so sorry." she says quickly. I shake my head with a kind-hearted smile.

"No, it's fine." I reassured her. I glanced at the women in the bed as she coughed slightly.

"What happened to her?" I asked.

"Some debris fell on her. No one was able to find her for a few days." Hendrix started but Clara finished for him.

"Something cut her leg open and she got a bad infection. We've done what we can but no one has come to help us." Clara said, grabbing my hand tightly. I could tell that she really needed to make sure her mother would be okay.

"Let me take a look." I said simply before heading over to the bed. The lady was sleeping, or maybe she was just too weak to open her eyes. But I took a seat on the chair besides her bed and rested the back of my hand on her forehead. She was burning up causing me to remove my hand quickly. I slowly lifted her thin blanket to see one leg propped up on a pillow. A white bandage covered most of her calf on her right leg. I could see the blood seeping through the white of the bandage meaning that it hadn't been properly tended to.

"Do you mind if I remove it?" I asked, looking at Clara while gesturing towards the bandage. She nodded her head quickly. The mop of brown curly hair flopping everywhere as she moved her head.

Slowly, I peeled the bandage off to reveal a nasty wound. The flesh was turning yellow and blood dripped from certain parts of her wound. It was deep from what I can tell and she need to get this cleaned right away or else she would have to get it amputated.

I turned to look at Hendrix and Clara.
"I don't think I can do much myself but I will go find someone with more medical experience." I said before getting up and recovering her wound.

"I promise I will be back." I said before rushing out of the house.

"I'll come with you." I heard Hendrix yell towards me. He jogged to my side as I began looking for someone to help Clara's mother.

-

A few minutes later we had found someone willing to help. Hendrix lead the nurse and I back to the small home quickly. Hendrix ran in and then the nurse, I followed them shortly after. I could hear Clara's mother's cough from right outside the door. She didn't sound good.

The nurse rushed over to her and began to check her wound.
"Thank you so much Queen Corinna." Clara said, coming to my side. I smiled down at her and wrapped my arms around her shoulders.

"I should go a check on everyone else now. I wish you both the best of luck." I uttered softly to Hendrix and Clara before leaving their home. I knew that Clara's mother should be fine now that there was some professional help.

I walked around the destroyed town for some time. I asked people how they were doing and if I could help them with anything. Of course they all said that they were doing well but I doubt that was true. Yet I didn't push them to tell me the truth if they didn't want to tell me. So I let it go but promised to check up on them a little later.

Soon, the sun was beginning to set and I headed back to my palace. It was a quiet walk home but once I walked inside the sounds of the handmaidens and guards talking filled my ears. The further I walked in, I heard a more familiar voice.

"Padmé?"

-

I still can't decided whether or not to make the ending of this story sad or happy...? I guess we'll see how things work out. I'm going to try to update as much as I can before I go to Florida on Sunday so I might be able to finish this story because I don't think that there will be that many chapters yet. :/