|twenty-three|

After the death of their master, the stormtroopers raced away, not knowing what to do. I held Paxton in my arms, his tired head laid on my shoulder as I rocked him. 

The people who had survived were trying to clean up and find anyone who had survived the bombings. I watched with tears staining my cheeks, not knowing what to do. 

Anakin walked up next to me and looked at the little boy in my arms. 

"His parents?" he asked. I made sure the small child was asleep before looking at Anakin. 

"Dead." I choked out. 

"I don't know what to do with him." I said sadly. Anakin looked at the little boy for a second. 

"I'm so sorry for what happened." he started. I shook my head quickly.

"Things happen, people die." I said emotionless. Anakin didn't know what to say yet, instead he turned around and started helping people. 

-

Paxton curled up on the couch in front of the fire. He was sleeping again, must have been nice. 

"Corinna?" I heard Anakin call. I got up out of the seat and left the den. Anakin stood in the middle of the palace corridor with a weak smile on his face when he saw me. I returned the smile and walked up to him so I was only a few inches away from him. 

"It's not safe here for you anymore." he said lightly. I crossed my arms over my chest and frowned. 

"I am the next in line to rule. My father is gone and my mother is dead, I am all that is left. These people need me." I said sternly.

"I know, but your father is still out there." he reached out and rubbed my shoulders. 

"I still don't know why my father would want me dead." I choked out. 

"Maybe Annora will know why." I shrugged and lowered my head. 

"I have to stay here Ani." I said, holding tears back. 

He nodded his head and rubbed the back of his neck. 

"I'll call Obi-wan for extra protection so that way you can stay here." he said. A small smile crept onto my lips. 

"Thank you." I muttered. 

Anakin left the room and I went back into the den to check on Paxton. He was still sound asleep and clutching the teddy bear closely. I didn't know what to do with this child. I was only twenty years old and couldn't take care of a small child and become the Queen of a planet. 

Maybe he had an aunt or grandparent that survived that can take care of him. I chewed on my lower lip and sighed. 

Anakin suddenly came into the den and I quickly put a finger up to my lips to tell him to keep quiet. He looked over to see Paxton sound asleep and smiled. 

Anakin sat down next to me and kissed my cheek. 

"I asked Obi-wan to interrogate Annora a little more to find out what your fathers role is in all of this." he whispered. I nodded my head and then turned it to face him. He looked very tired and I'm sure I did too. 

Our faces were only inches away from each other. The light from the fire shined onto the side of Anakin's face, he still looked handsome. He placed a hand on my cheek and leaned in, filling the space between us. His lips touched mine and for a second, I had completely forgotten about all of the problems around me. 

-

another super short chapter. I'm starting to not like where this story is going.