Lost

They all sat lined up on orange plastic chairs outside the room where Janette Skorjanec was in, having tubes inserted, scans done, finding out what was wrong with her...why she passed out so suddenly....lifeless...

Doctor Smith exited the room, beckoning Aljaz over. "How is she? Is my Janette okay?" Aljaz said, firing hundreds of questions at the doctor. The doctor ran his hands through his spiked up hair before speaking. "She'll be okay...but the baby...we couldn't save it." Aljaz froze, baby?! What baby? "Sorry what? What do you mean the baby?" Doctor Smith hesitated, "Janette was 5 months pregnant...oh...I assumed that you knew...we got the baby out, we're so so sorry...you can go and see her now...she's beginning to wake up, I'm sure that she'll want to see you," he said, putting a hand on Aljaz's shoulder. Aljaz nodded, leaving the kids with Karen and Kevin he went into the hospital room that was holding Janette. Her face was stained with tears. "Did you know...did you know that you were pregnant?" Janette shook her head, tears streaming down her face. "No...oh baby...we've lost another child...another baby...first Caleb then this baby...what's wrong with me?!" She sobbed. Aljaz wrapped his arms round his wife, "now listen to me Janette Skorjanec, there is nothing wrong with you! You're perfect, you're an amazing mother and losing Caleb and this baby wasn't to do with you, promise," Aljaz said, stroking her head as she wept into his jumper. "Well then why have 2 of my babies died Ali? Why me?! I mean, I know we didn't plan to have another baby or anything, but we said that if we did have another baby it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, an then we lost it...I don't even know if the baby was a boy or a girl," Janette said, the tears continuing to fall. Aljaz took Janette's face in his hands, looking her in the eye, "listen to me Mrs Skorjanec, this wasn't your fault...I know you're sad, I am too...not just he fact that we lost our unborn child, but because I couldn't be in here when the baby was being taken out of you...I couldn't hold your hand or anything...it's not fair, but we've got 4 beautiful children here with us now who need us...they need you..." He brushed away his wife's tears, kissing her on the forehead...thinking of the child that they had never met...