Chapter 1

Italicized phrases with a * next to it mean it's in Elvish 

^^^^^^^^^

"I did not know that a mortal human was visiting here in Mirkwood," said a curious voice. I nearly fell out of the tree I was resting in.

I looked down at the woodland floor and there, at the base of a tree, was Legolas, the Prince of Mirkwood. His long golden hair rustled in the slight breeze.

"I'm sorry, my Lady, I did not mean to startle you." He sounded sincere.

"No, your Highness, it's my fault; I wasn't paying attention." I fumbled over my words and closed the book I was reading, I always come here to read. And I've never had anyone interrupt my reading time until now. But I would have never guessed I would've been interrupted by a Prince.

Legolas nodded, "may I ask why you are visiting the place of my birth?" He didn't sound rude but, again, he just sounded sincere and curious.

"Oh, well, I'm not visiting. I live here, ever since I was a baby I have."

Legolas raised an eyebrow, "really?" Then he asked, almost shyly, "do you mind telling me more?" He gave a smile, showing all of his pearly whites. It used to make me self-conscious, you know, being around perfect elves all the time, but I've just learned to accept the fact that everyone around me looks better than me.

"No, I don't mind—" before I could start, he climbed the tree swiftly in less than two seconds. He settled down on a branch slightly above me and to my right. The leaves barely rustled.

I tucked my hair behind my ear as he waited eagerly, "I thought it was improper for a citizen of your kingdom to talk casually to you or your father." I looked up at him, but I couldn't make eye contact.

"I'm not my Father. And I want to hear your story." He said simply, his voice a perfect harmony.

I sighed and twiddled with my hair as I began to speak in my small voice, "my parents, well my adoptive elf parents, found me out here in the forest. They think that one of the giant spiders ate my birth parents." I shrugged like it was no big deal, "so they took me in, seeing that I had no one to care for me."

"I was raised here and in the way of the elves, I was taught Westron and Elvish... And anything else they thought was necessary," I finish. I look up at him again, he seemed to be in thought.

"Man i eneth lín .?" (what is your name?)

"My elf parents named me Lumornel. I adopted their last name, Nólatári.* "

His grey-blue eyes seemed to light up and they looked into mine, "they named you after tree shade." It wasn't a question. He looked at me with a smile.

I smiled back shyly, "yes, my parents found me under a tree. The shade was hiding me from unwanted eyes. They said it was a miracle that they had even seen me and that it was fate for them to have found me.* " I looked up to where sunlight filtered through the treetops, the sound of birds singing was in the air. I often think about that, if it really was fate that had saved me or if it had been pure luck.

"Let's hope that your fate will lead you to great places then.* " I smiled weakly at him.

"So, may I ask why the Prince is walking alone in the woods?* " I say while looking at my feet that rest on a branch.

"I like time to my self,* " was all he said.

"Me too, that's the reason I'm out here,*" I say, "I love reading. It doesn't matter what it's about, I'll read it,* " I look up at him and smile. Then I blush because I'm talking to the Prince! Nobody talks to the Prince, he normally keeps to himself.