Chapter 8

*Somewhat edited*

Italicized phrases with a * next to it mean it's in Elvish  

About thirty minutes ago, about two hours after sun high, it started to rain... Yes, rain. Cold, fat drops of rain. It didn't seem to bother the elves, but me being a part of the race of Men, I am bothered by it greatly. I had started being cold about ten minutes into the downpour.

My hair stuck to my face and neck and my clothes hung. I tried to squeeze myself closer to Legolas, trying to steal his body heat.

I would put the hood up on my cloak but it would not help. The air seemed to stick to my bones like a burr in a horses mane. My teeth started to chatter.

"I despise you," I say into Legolas's back grumpily.

"Why?" He grinned.

"For letting me be cold," I whined.

"I don't think I have control over the temperature in the air," he said softly.

"You should learn how to change that." The wind moaned and the raindrops stung like needles on my bare face.

He didn't chuckle like I thought he would but instead stayed silent like the grave. Something is plaguing his mind.

Finally, he spoke, "why do you want to do this? Go to Lórien, follow what your 'Ammë' says to do? You have an option on whether or not to help in saving Middle Earth, and yet you decide to go down this path that most likely includes strife, pain, and anguish." I was taken aback by the tone of his voice.

"I—." I thought for a moment, trying to put together my thoughts. My reason for going along with all of this is kind of private, and I'm still not totally sure I want to be doing this.

Just as I opened my mouth we heard a shout of urgency from ahead. The most peculiar sight met my eyes: a man robbed in brown clothing riding a sleigh pulled by rabbits, enormous rabbits at that.

The sleigh turned to the west, to where we are, and moved unnervingly fast.

"Who is that?" I hide behind Legolas' back.

"Radagast the Brown. He is one of the five Wizards," Duvaineth says, and if I didn't know better, I would guess that there is a hint of annoyance in her voice.

"A wizard?!" My voice goes up an octave. I have heard about the wizards: Saruman the White, Gandalf the Grey, Radagast the Brown, and the two blue wizards. Just the thought of them scares me, they could turn you into anything unnatural with the snap of their fingers. They intimidate me, yet I admit it would be cool to meet one. But now that I actually am, I just wish to disappear.

My hands tremble around Legolas' waist. I want to ask, 'can't we make him go away?' but the wizard may hear and I would sound childish... Even though to all of their eyes I would seem like a child. Even though I'm seventeen.

The wizard pulls his sleigh up beside us, leaving plenty of distance between us, although I felt like it is not enough. The grass swayed in anticipation.

"Legolas? Legolas Thranduilion?" Radagast asks in a slightly hyperactive voice. It took me aback, I was expecting a more deep, wise sound.

"Yes, I am thee. I did not expect to see you in these parts of the land," He says, his voice full of authority.

"I was just coming back from the Shire, where I had to give a message to Gandalf the Grey from Saruman the White, the head of our order," he stopped in his blubbering and cocked his head to look at Duvaineth and myself. "And, if I may ask, what business do you have with an elf-maiden and a girl? And who are they?"