Chapter 32

I really hope this chapter shows all the italicized words, unlike the last chapter

^^^

I knew she was important, but not that important.

"What? The Queen?!"

She shushed me. "There are people out there that will kill her if they knew she still lived."

I dropped the knife from her neck. "But she's your mother?"

She rubbed her throat. "Yes—"

"You're a princess?"

"I do believe that's what they're called—"

"You're Legolas's broth—I mean, sister?"

She paused at that, clenched her teeth. "I suppose."

I hesitated. How do I put this lightly...?

"... Is King Thranduil your father... or...?"

Kaylessa—Princess of Mirkwood—looked at me as if I was dumb. Well, I guess I'm partly dumb but—stop getting lost in your thoughts, Lum!

"My mother would never disgrace herself—or my father—in that way. No, she was pregnant with me the day that dragon came."

Stunned silence followed. "But... h-how is she alive? I thought..."

"She was nearly dead, to anyone else she would've looked lifeless. The dragon cushioned her fall and Durwald—a human man—stumbled across her nearly dead body and miraculously nursed her back to health."

Kaylessa looked me in the eyes, "she's lucky to be alive—I'm lucky to be alive."

I opened my mouth. Closed it. How had I dreamed of the Queen? Or had it been a vision? Why? What was so important that I had to know Elellótë lived?

Or was it just an illusion Sauron or Saruman sent my way?

The pressure in my gut told me 'no.'

Then should I trust these 'visions?'

Yes.

Okay then—

"Why do you need to go to Thranduil? Why hasn't Elellótë returned to her home?" I could feel the confusion blanketing my face, but I didn't care.

Kaylessa advanced a step, "how do you know about that?"

I couldn't stop my mouth from saying the words, "I had a dream."

She kept her face devoid of emotion. "What did you see?"

Again, the words flowed from me. It was as if I wasn't in control of my voice. No! Stop! You can't trust her! But the words kept flowing.

"I saw a hut in the early morning. Elellótë opened the window. You were wanting to go see Thranduil and ask for help. The Queen said 'no.' You said you both were in dire need of his help."

Her light brows furrowed, the only sign of emotion she would show. "So not only does the one and only Tree-Shade have the power to expel energy, but she also has visions."

She huffed a breath, "great."

That was definitely sarcasm dripping from her mouth.

"Why hasn't Elellótë returned to her husband and son?" I remember how the mention of Legolas's mother had sent pain lining his every feature. Mother used to tell me stories of King Thranduil before his wife 'died' and how much he has changed since then. Elellótë and her deception have caused them both too much grief.