Chapter 52

Legolas didn't flinch.

Actually, he did nothing at all but let his eyes rove for injuries. How... could he not see the similarities? She had Thranduil's hair and facial structure, she even held herself like him—even though she couldn't have possibly met the deceased King. Still, he only looked upon her with the wariness of a soldier.

Strangely, or maybe not so strange for her, Kaylessa said nothing as she faced Legolas. She assessed Legolas the way one would before taking on a foe. Her lips almost straightened to a firm line.

Don't do it, I pleaded. Don't tell him.

Instead, Kaylessa turned her eyes to me. "Well, you certainly look better."

"...What?"

"You know each other?" Legolas shifted.

Kaylessa sniffed and ignored her brother. "Could use a bath for the smell though. Honestly, do you expect me to lodge with pigs? That's downright unsanitary."

"I... what?" I felt helplessly dumb in her presence. As if there was some master information tucked under Kaylessa's nose that I couldn't reach or see.

"I'm traveling with you, idiot. And you both smell like the waste in the streets of Gondor."

Legolas intervened, "who are you and—"

"Save your breath, princeling—" Legolas narrowed his eyes at that "—I am Kaylessa, Daughter of the Woods, and I will escort you to Lothlorien."

"Lothlorien—?"

"We're going to Mirkwood," I informed. "To—"

"Gather armies, rally support, see family. Yes, I know."

"No," I said grimly. "The King is dead."

Kaylessa froze.

And then in the blink of an eye melted, as if she never heard. "Ah, well that is unfortunate."

Legolas narrowed his eyes further. "You—"

"Need to stop jumping to conclusions." She sighed melodramatically with a molten-metal shake of the head. "I do have a habit of doing that. Then again I'm usually always right."

"We cannot stop at Loth—"

"Actually, you can. And you will. Your supplies are running low, you smell like horse dung, and you need a place to rest without worrying about an orc stabbing you in the back. And I would not mind having a few extra sword-bearers to protect my own back on the journey there."

"Could you let me finish...!" He trailed off as if expecting her to intercede. Kaylessa cocked her head waiting for him to continue.

"Cat got your tongue, princeling?"

Legolas growled. "I barely know you, elf. I will not so readily trust an elleth that has taken down such a foe so easily." The troll's corpse loomed behind her. "I cannot let you travel with us and we cannot afford to stop at Lothlorien."

"Really? I would have thought the reason be my unusual treatment of you. I'm sorry, princeling, if I do not grovel at your feet like every other love-struck elleth or battle-excited ellon."

Legolas only narrowed his eyes further.

"Um... Maybe we could ride with you until the Lothlorien borders...?" I eyed Legolas. "Or until we reach the edge of Mirkwood's forests, near Dol Guldur?"

I immediately sucked in a breath, wishing I had not mentioned that name.

I was surprised when he did not even tense. Well, tense more.