Chapter 2

*somewhat edited*

Italicized phrases with a * next to it mean it's in Elvish

The past week has been amazing. Every day I've gotten to meet with the Prince in my—our—spot. We read my books to each other up in our tree and we talk about things, about life. Of course, he's got way more stories than me, he's lived longer. I loved the story about him fighting in the Battle of the Five Armies.

Yesterday we finished the Tales of Beedle and Bard so now I bring a new book as I walk to our tree, I will wait here until he arrives. The birds sing and the breeze lifts up my white hair. I grip onto the rough tree with my hands and hoist myself up. But I slip as I'm steadying myself and I begin to fall. My heart rises into my throat as—

Strong hands touch my back. They hold me up as I get carefully back on the tree. "Lumornel, careful. No need for such a pretty thing to be falling."

I look over to see Legolas carefully balanced on a branch and blush. Then, to my astonishment, he blushes too! You think a week around the guy would make it less awkward.

"You should have let me fall," I say while grabbing the book that I had wedged between two branches.

"Why should I have done that?" His posture, or maybe it was how unruffled he was, annoyed me. He was sitting over there being pretty while I had sweat on my brow with hair sticking to it.

"Because every misstep I take I learn. If you fail, or perhaps fall, you learn from that and next time you will not fail. It's like a child touching something sharp, next time around the child will be more careful," I say while fixing my hair.

"But what if you do fail again?" He seemed to be slightly smiling.

"Then you won't fail in the same way. Every time you fail, you get closer to succeeding."

"What about the men who haven't succeeded?"

"Then they gave up to early and didn't put enough umph in it." I brushed off my dirt covered legs.

"Umph?"

My breath caught and I froze, did I really just say Umph? "Uh, yes, umph. You know, not enough power behind the try." I looked in the opposite direction and tucked hair behind my ear. I could hear him chuckling.

I took a deep breath, "here's the book I brought. It's called—"

Legolas's hand softly touched my arm. I look up at him.

"I have something better," he said. At first, I was offended, he didn't think my book was good? But th—

Legolas jumped down from the tree and landed without a sound. He looked up at me expectantly, I realized he wanted me to follow him.

"Tulien, tulien..." I say as I drop my book from the tree. Before it lands Legolas's hand darts out and catches it. I sigh, elves. (Coming, coming...)

I awkwardly climb down the tree, actually I suspect it was quite graceful for a human (I've only seen a human twice in my life when they were visiting Mirkwood), but compared to elves it was quite awkward.

"Where are we going?" I barely had time to say. He gave me a smile that melted my heart, "you'll see and I promise that you will mela it." His eyes lit up in that way that makes my heart quicken. (Love)

He ran through the woods, I was barely able to stay with him as I crashed through twigs and other brush. 

We exited the forest and I squinted at the sun as I leaned over panting. "W... Wait..." I panted. Legolas was standing and staring at the sun while he waited. And as per usual, the elf he is, just stood there looking like he had barely moved a foot.