Chapter 34

*bops your nose* boop!

*********

We rode through the night. Mithrandir told us we could not waste any more time on our journey to Rohan. But when were we wasting time? Did he expect us to sleep on our horses?

Apparently so. It was when the moon came to sit directly above us, a crown of stars decorating her brow, when Merry fell from his russet horse.

"Merry!" Pippin yelled in alarm. He himself had been snoozing against Mithrandir. "Stop! Stop! Merry has fallen!"

Gimli brought his horse to a stop with a struggle. "A dwarf is not meant to be a horse-rider," he mumbled sleepily and gazed down at his fallen rider.

"Shake it off, lad. A bump on your rump is much better than a sword through your throat."

Gimli! I wanted to yell but my sleepy mouth wouldn't cooperate. But maybe Merry should know the bloody side of this journey, although maybe he already knew that. After all, the day I was released from Sauron's sleep-world he had witnessed a small battle with orcs and wargs.

The hobbit got to his feet with a wince and rubbed his back. I made a wince of my own as he popped his back.

"We'll continue on another hour, then we'll rest." I struggled not to glare at Mithrandir's words.

You said that an hour ago, I thought, but didn't say it. We were all thinking it.

Legolas, who was taking his turn walking beside us since he was the only tireless elf, helped Merry back up behind Gimli. Legolas looked like he'd rather spend the night in the thick of Mirkwood and be eaten by spiders.

So, did Merry.

I turned away, trying not to revisit the times where Legolas was himself. They only brought sorrow and longing when thought of.

Against my will, my mind began to drift sleepily off...

"Aragorn, how is your arm faring?" Melnare asked. Apparently, she's had a little training as a healer in her past.

"It's doing well, thanks to your skill." Aragorn's arm—however it had been wounded (he did not like to talk about how it had happened)—had been on the verge of infection. I had had a look at his wound—and then quickly looked away, swallowing the bile that rose in my throat. It had been red and angry, disgusting pus gathering in it. The wound had obviously been caused by a blade.

I had also noticed Aragorn had part of his ear missing. I wondered if he had acquired the two injuries in the same battle.

My eyes fell shut and my mind edged towards unconsciousness.

Melnare nodded, "good. Middle-Earth doesn't need you dying..." her words drifted off as sleep overtook me. And so did a memory that Melnare's words triggered.

*********

The cream blanket beneath my cheek had gone damp hours ago. I had tried to dry my tears on the golden-weaved quilt but failed. I just let my unwanted tears slide down my face.

I didn't bother to pull myself together. After all, there's no one around to be strong for.