Chapter 36

Danica and I ran to the door of my old home. It was so silent, the neighborhood. It almost seemed strange to be here again, after what had happened through out the year.

A year. I hadn't seen my mom in a year. If schools were still running, then I would be heading back in about a week. I would be with all my friends. But I would have never met Jayden. I supposed that somethings had positives. Like not having school anymore.

The memory of the last time I was here at home came up suddenly. It's pain stung. The way I had run off. And then the last words I had ever said to her. She had never had a chance to talk. The last thing I had ever told her was bye. Yes, the memories stung. But here I was. Here to make it all up to her.

I pulled on the door handle. The door opened without complaint. I was surprised. But I supposed that my mother didn't need to lock the door, being the last one.

"Mom?" I called.

I saw her tiny figure on the sofa. She was covered in blankets and the floor was littered with tissues. I was worried and stepped inside. Danica's blue glow lit up the house. I started walking towards her.

"Mom?" I called again.

"What?" I heard a faint voice call. "Ales? Is that you?"

"Mom!" I exclaimed.

"Ales!" She cried, leaping up and squeezing me with the biggest hug ever.

I let her hug me for a while. I let her sit there and squeeze me for a long time. We pulled apart soon and I looked at her dead in the eyes.

"Mom. You are the last one."

"I know," she said.

"How?" I asked. "I didn't think anyone knew who the chosen was."

"I've know ever since you were six months old."

"What?" I asked. "How could you have known when I was that young?"

"Let me tell you the story of your father. He was a kind guy. A true gentleman. When you were born, we took weeks off of work so he could be with you. He loved to play with you, but your favorite place was the park.

"You two would go there everyday at 2:00 and be back by 3:00. It was a short time, but it was your favorite place.

"One day, when I came home, I saw that you and your father weren't home. I was worried and called him. I called him and texted him for about an hour. With no response, I gave up and went to the park myself.

"No one else was there. But all I saw was you in the stroller and your father laying on the ground dead. Oh how I cried when I saw that. I had sunk to my knees. Seeing him, I knew that it had to be you.

"But still, I didn't want to believe it. I reported it to the police, who kindly told me that they couldn't find a reason for his death. I knew that that was all I needed to know. You had done some form of wink to kill him.

"But still, everyday, I waited by the window. I wanted to see your father strolling home. I liked to believe that he had just been napping. But still, he is dead. He was your first victim.

"After hearing about your school incidents, I knew that that had confirmed everything. But I pretended that the prophecy didn't exist. I still waited by the window. And I did the same for you once you left that night."

I started crying with Mom once she finished. Danica had little blue tears streaming down her blue cheeks too.

"Ales. I just want to let you know that I'm proud of you. Everything that you have done. It's hard. So I want you to take me. I will be happy to die for what is right. I would be honored to be taken by you."

"Mom," I cried. "I can't."

"Yes you can," she said.

She reached out and grabbed my face. She gently closed one of my eyes and then opened it again. She closed her eyes and fell backwards on to the floor.

I shed a single tear. It dripped on to the floor. Danica bowed her head.

"You did it," she whispered.

I nodded. And as I looked up, I found that I too was falling backwards. There was a bright flash of white that blinded me as I defended. Then the word turned black.