Chapter 1

"MOM?!? WHERE ARE YOU?" I screamed into the smoke.

"I'm- *cough*- here sweetie. Jump out the window, save yourself!"

"What about you?"

"The firemen will save me." She said, "The fire hasn't reached my room yet."

I jumped out the window, wind in my hair for that second and I hit the ground. Neighbors carried me to an ambulance.

"WAIT, MY MOM! She's still in there."

"Don't worry," a cop said gently, "firemen have gotten her out, you'll see her soon."

I sighed with relief, but then remembered Annabeth. "Do you know where Annabeth Chase is?" I asked the cop.

"Yes," she replied, "you'll see her too. Her father is in critical condition though."

I searched through the crowd of people for Annabeth and I found her crying, watching the ambulance that carried her father rush to the hospital.

"He'll be fine." I assured her. "Come on, let's go."

She got up and walked with me to one of the ambulances and they brought us to the hospital. But I didn't remember much because I soon fainted from smoke inhalation.

I woke up to an annoying beeping sound and a nurse sitting by me. She held a sympathetic look.

At first, I was confused, then I remembered last night.

"How's my mom?" I asked the woman.

She had that sad look that is only seen in movies when the people die.

"No," I said, my voice rising, "no, no no no no! She's not dead! Tell me she's not dead."

"I'm so sorry, but she inhaled too much smoke, it made permanent lung damage. She's on her death bed."

I got off the bed. "Where is she?"

"Mister, please. You're in no conditi-"

"Where is she?" I repeated.

"Down the hall to the right, room 722." She said.

I ran down, seeing mourning and sick people passing by. Finally, I got to room 722 and I ran in.

I knew she was almost gone. She had pale lifeless skin, but her eyes were closed.

"No! No!" I kept saying. "Stay with me mom. You said that you wanted to be there when I went to collage, when I got a girlfriend, when I had kids! YOU CAN'T LEAVE NOW!"

Her eyes opened and I saw that she had given up. She was tired.

"I can't stay anymore, Percy. God wants me to go to his house now."

I nodded, tears streaming down my face. "I love you mom. Please don't go."

"I Love you too sweetie. I'll see you sometime. Don't worry. Goodbye." She said smiling. And her eyes dulled.

~

My eyes shot open, tears spilling out. I've had that dream since I've gotten out of the hospital a couple of years ago, when I was 12. Annabeth and I never saw each other after.

I was at New York's orphanage for boys and Annabeth was transferred to Sacramento's orphanage for girls. I never told anyone this, but I had liked her since the first day. She was smart, beautiful, and acted so normal, it killed me. We became friends fast because of our differences. But now, I wasn't sure if I would ever see her again.

I walked out of my room because there was a family coming today. I didn't think I would get adopted because I've been here for about 3 years after I was transferred again and who wants a 17 year old?

I wasn't paying attention, but when I saw the master pointing at me, I stepped up. Everything went by pretty fast but, apparently, I was getting adopted and was going to San Fransisco.

Hey guys, I hope you liked it, new story and all. I will be posting, hopefully, kind of frequently over the summer. But when school is back, it'll become really slow. Hope you guys enjoyed!