Chapter 21

Percy's POV

I smiled proudly at the crowd in front of me. Taking my diploma, I stepped off the stage and back to my seat.

(I don't know how these work help me)

The pure joy in my eyes wasn't mistakable. My friends and I threw our hats into the air, crying and hugging.

We decided to go somewhere after and while they were planning, I scanned the crowd, hoping to see the blond contrast to the black gowns we had on. I haven't forgotten about her. I keep track of where she is and when she hasn't come to school. It's about stalkerish but who can blame a guy.

My vision centered on a girl with blond curls who could've blended into the crowd perfectly, if not for her expression. She stood alone, looking as if she wanted this to be over. The look of pure dread made me question why. She's always been so excited for graduation, ever since we were young. She used to rant to me which colleges she wanted to go to and then slap me when she realized I wasn't listening.

Her grey eyes were dull and worn down. I've never gotten the time to study her closely lately. Whenever I see her, she's pushing through crowds and rushing to get to class.

My face fell, seeing my old best friend so utterly done and emotionally exhausted. My friends noticed and saw me staring.

"Bro you should just go and cheer her up. Maybe ask her out." Jason said cheekily.

I rolled my eyes, trying to play off my concern, but they saw through it.

"What's wrong Percy?" Piper asked, suddenly concerned.

"Nothing, it's just... never mind. It's not important. Can you guys repeat the plans?"

They didn't look like they wanted to drop it, but must've seen my expression and decided to go with it.

I didn't look back again.