Chapter 50

Annabeth's POV

I needed a break. A long, overdue break. After the incident with Percy, my mind became so jumbled with conflicting thoughts and feelings that I couldn't keep going. I spent sleepless nights curled up in my bed, eyes wide open, my body physically tired but my mind blocking the idea of sleep with the swirling of words. Mornings were spent making coffee to make up for the loss of sleep. Focusing became such a problem that my professors brought me aside to check on me.So, I bought a ticket to visit home for a week; to clear my thoughts. When I got to the airport, Chiron was waiting for me. He smiled warmly at me and I felt a wave crash over me. Memories of late movie nights and warm comfort foods flooded my mind and I just felt so relieved.

With tears burning in my eyes, I rushed forward and into the arms of my father.

"Welcome home."

~

 I spent the majority of my time watching movies, drinking hot drinks and just, living. Living like a normal person. I laughed slightly at the thought. What's a normal person? 

"What's so funny?" Chiron asked. We were currently having a Star Wars marathon, sitting together on the couch with tea and cookies. 

"Nothing," I smiled. 

"You know," he shifted towards me, "it's been two days since you suddenly called telling that you were at the airport with a plane ticket home. I think I deserve an explanation, don't you think?"

I sighed. "Yeah, I guess." There was a moment of silence, the only sound being the faint laser blasts coming from the TV. "I- uh... needed a break. Life's been pretty hectic and I just, didn't feel stable." Chiron nodded understandably. Reassured, I went on telling my story, from the very beginning, through all the tough parts of my life that he never knew about and all the good. What I loved most about  Chiron is that he never criticized. He never tried to correct my mistakes with his own solution, allowing me to make my own decisions, and instead, comforted me. That's one of the many reasons why we get along so well, because he listens and understands. 

~

"Chiron," he turned to face me with two cups of hot chocolate in his hand, "Thank you. For everything." 

Such simple words, yet what a meaning they had.

He offered one cup to me, smiling. "You're welcome."

~

The week was over way too quickly. The days dragged with the time spent resting and spending time with Chiron, but before I knew it, it was Sunday morning, an hour before my plane would board. As I reached the security check, I turned to face Chiron, who was already smiling warmly at me. He opened his arms and I rushed into them, burying my face into his jacket.  He held me in a similar way that Percy had held me that time, a warm feeling that made me feel safe and cared for spreading through my body. 

And as I sat in my seat in the plane, I stared out the window. I love Luke. He's my best friend who's been there for me through so much, despite all that he was dealing with at the time as well. But, I know there's something wrong. I should be disgusted, but I can't help but feel pity for him. Someone who grew up in such negligent household, there's no way he understands that it's wrong. He cares for me. He's all I have.

I want to change. I don't want to be dependent on someone who controls me, intentionally or unintentionally. I want to have my own life, living it how I want to.

Chiron had listened intently to me that night. After I had finished explaining, he pulled me into a hug, whispering that he knew that I would make the right choice and that he would support me no matter what.

As I watched the plane lifted off, the buildings and people on the ground becoming specks from where I was, my eyelids became heavy, and I slowly drifted to sleep

IM SORRY I CANT KEEP PROMISES. I WANTED TO MAKE THIS CHAPTER SUPER LONG TO MAKE UP FOR THE HIATUS BUT I THINK IM SPENDING TOO MUCH TIME ON THAT SO I DECIDED TO CUT IT SHORT SO I COULD PUT SOMETHING OUT THERE. ONCE AGAIN IM SORRY BUT I WILL TRY AND PUT OUT ANOTHER CHAPTER SOON. LOVE YOU GUYS THANKS FOR STICKING WITH ME!!! (update: I rewrote this entire chapter to fit the ending, as well as the next one.)