39. To Be The Wind .

I had to admit, I was a bit nervous to be out on the grounds, checking for any signs of trespassers.

Even with a good amount of pack members, Kale, Lynn and Audri, the security team, and Grey- I was still on edge.

But I knew I'd be even more of a wreck if Grey had come out here without me.

"You're pretty fast, Nova." Grey said to me as we jogged through the woods, "With some training and more time running, you could possibly be faster than me."

"You really think so?"

"Only one way to find out."

I turned my head to look at him.

"Don't fall behind."

And before I could say anything, I was left looking at the back of Grey's ass. A tilt of the head worked wonders with the view.

I snapped out of it, taking off into a sprint after him. "What are you doing, wolf boy?"

"Training. After this is over, you have a job to do."

He was right. Before, I nearly lost my mind knowing Grey was placing me in Ginger's job. But now, I felt more than ready to have the responsibility of the security of the pack.

Security was what they were giving to me, putting all their lives in danger to make sure mine and my father's were okay.

I had to repay them. And the only way I knew how was to give them the same in return. Security, loyalty.. a family.

I'm their Luna.

"Okay Nova, don't think just act." I said to myself, pushing my body to run faster and push harder.

Before I knew it, I was starting to catch up to Grey. That familiar rush of power slowly igniting within me.

I smiled, inviting it.

'That's my girl.'

His voice was like a warm caress that my mind had been in yearning for, for so long. It was strange, something I was sure I'd never get use to.

A few seconds passed and I found myself slowly reaching Grey's side. He chuckled when I turned my head to smile at him, which seemed to slow him down a bit.

I took the opportunity to jet off
as fast as I possibly could.

Running.

No, flying was more like it. I felt like just as soon as the pad of my foot made the slightest contact with the ground, it was already back in the air as I pushed off with my other.

The wind whipped like a cold, not too gentle caress against my face, blowing my sun-kissed hair behind me with it.
The air burning through my lungs was like a fire aching to be fully ignited.

Was it strange to say I enjoyed the burn?

The rush of power surging through me was almost too overwhelming. I felt as though I could hardly run anymore, but something in me to kept me going.

Something in me kept me running faster than the wind itself.

For once, my thoughts weren't on Grey. Nor on the fact that I'd managed to leave him so far behind. They were selfishly, yet satisfyingly on me.

This is who I was meant to be. This is what I am. Why I was so different from everyone, why I never fitted in with anybody.

I could feel the familiar prickle of my skin and the ache in my jaws, drawing me away from my revelations.