Chapter 20: Grateful

"So what should I expect at this auction?" I asked Rafael as we stood in my hotel room

          "So what should I expect at this auction?" I asked Rafael as we stood in my hotel room. Daphne was getting ready in the bedroom as we stepped inside the bedroom. She already had her dress on and she was pulling her hair into a soft bun at the nape of her neck. Her dark curls softly fanning out, giving off an effortless elegance.

"Don't you give anything away, Rafael," Daphne warned, giving him a pointed look as she shoved my garment bag in my direction. "You're on the verge of being rudely late, fashionably late sails in twenty minutes."

Rafael put his hands up in submission, closing the bedroom door behind him as I began curling my hair.

"So," Daphne began, glancing at the door and then back at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Rafael is escourting you?" She asked, arching a brow.

"For some weird reason Nathaniel said he couldn't take me, that's all I know," I huffed, watching a satisfied smirk pass her features. "What do you know?"

"All in due time," she teased, unzipping my dress, helping me fix one last curl before helping me into my dress. She glanced at the ring on my right finger for a moment before reaching into her purse, handing me a thin, blue box. My fingers trembled as I opened it, revealing the diamond chain I wore on my wedding day. "He asked me to have you wear this tonight," Daphne said softly.

I nodded my head, gently putting the necklace on, letting it hang low on my back, taking a deep steadying breath. She pulled my hair into a soft half-up half-down, pinning it back with a small, crystal hairclip. "I think we're on the verge of being rudely late," I said, clearing my throat. She grinned as we walked into the main room, greeted by Rafael and Daphne's date.

"Let's get this party started!" Daphne hollered, racing out of the room with her date in tow. Rafael and I awkwardly trailed behind them, nearly missing the elevator. When we emerged onto the patio of the hotel, it was breathtaking. The sky was absolutely clear. The flowers were in full bloom-there were peonies lining every walk. It was stunning.

As I looked around the party, I noticed that many of the couples were not usual pairings, it seemed somewhat odd. Husbands and wives were separated, mingling with other men and women. It was the most peculiar scene.

"Could all the ladies please congregate on stage, please," the announcer boomed. Daphne let out a squeal of delight, dragging me towards the middle of the party before I even had time to excuse myself.

"What's going on?" I asked warily, watching all of the women gracefully line up around the stage.

"He's here," Daphne squealed, grinning giddily at me. "Oh, I knew he'd be here."

"Who? Who's here?" I asked, my eyes scanning the crowd.

"See him? He's sitting at table number 13, right in the front, he has paddle number 19," Daphne rambled.