Chapter 41: Come Home

"Lana, could you help me?" I called as Rafael leaned into me for support as we began our ascent up the staircase.

"Astoria?" Lana called from the top of the stairs, grinning at me as she raced to duck under Rafael's other arm, offering him extra support.  "Welcome home, Rafael," Lana said as we made it to the top of the staircase.

"Rafael is on bedrest for the next few days," I said with a pointed look to Rafael as he rolled his eyes.

"I really don't need all this babying, Astoria," Rafael grumbled.  "I'm perfectly capable-"

"I'm going to take care of you and that is final, Rafael.  I told you, I'm not going to let anything happen again."

"It was a fluke that we ran out-"

"This isn't up for dispute, Rafael," Lana chirped as we entered the bedroom.  The bed was already turned down and a steaming bowl of soup sat on the bedside table, along side Rafael's laptop and reading glasses.

"How did I get so lucky to have two mother hens in my home?" He said dryly as we helped him into bed.  I pulled the covers over him, setting the tray of food on his lap and setting his laptop on the bed beside him.  "Thank you," he grumbled as Lana and I shared a knowing look.

"I'm going to be downstairs if you need anything," Lana said before disappearing out the room, softly closing the door behind her.  Rafael sighed before he started eating his soup and I silently stepped into the bathroom, taking a quick, much needed shower, clearing my head before I came back out to be face to face with him again.

I was glad to have Rafael back home.  After nearly a week in the hospital, it was comforting to know that he was back safe.  I knew Rafael was not particularly the type to accept help, but I knew that he was desperate for it.  He was in a lot of pain, as expected, but he was too stubborn to admit it.  The doctors told him to rest, but he refused to rest until he'd finished all his work on his laptop, which took a minimum of two hours each time he woke up.

"Astoria, can you get me another pill?" I heard him call from the other room.  I pulled on my pajamas before stepping out of the bathroom with a glass of water and a fresh pain pill.

I sat crosslegged on the bed beside him and handed him the glass and pill.  "What hurts?" I asked, taking his free hand in mine, thankful for the comfort it offered.

"I have a headache again," he sighed, closing his eyes for a moment.  "I'll be better in the morning, c'mon, let's get some rest," he said with a weak smile.

I nodded my head as he lifted his arm, motioning for me to curl up against his side.  I grinned as I rested my head on his chest, careful not to put too much pressure on his sore chest.

"I love you Rafael," I whispered, yawning.  "I'm glad you're finally home."

"There is no place I'd rather be," he murmured, kissing the crown of my head.

I sat awake, listening as his breathing evened out.  "Me too," I breathed, closing my eyes, comforted by the promise of tomorrow.

~

I stepped out of the shower, followed by a cloud of steam as I wrapped up in a fluffy white towel.  I couldn't help but smile as I thought of Rafael.  I hummed softly to myself as I dressed in a pair of jeans and a loose t-shirt.  I towel dried my hair as I kicked the door open, greeted by a soft whine from Lucie as she sat at the end of the bed, her head resting on her paws.

"What's the matter Luc?" I chirped, grabbing my purse from the dresser before pausing.  I smiled thoughtfully at Rafael who was still sound asleep.  He must have slept through his alarm.  "Rafa, Nathaniel is going to be here for the meeting you insisted on having in thirty minutes," I sang.  He didn't even flinch.  I sighed.  "Rafa, I know you're tired," I whined, as Lucie whined once more, staring up at me with her big blue eyes.  "Wake up," I cooed, softly shaking his shoulders.  I sighed, pulling back the comforter.  "Come on, we both have things to do today," I teased, gently pushing his shoulder as he rolled over on his back.

My heart hammered in my chest as I sucked in a sharp breath, staggering backwards.  I opened my mouth to say something-anything-but I couldn't make a sound.  Lucie brushed against my leg, steadying me, whining as my heart hammered in my chest.

"No, no, you were okay-things were going to be okay," I whispered as I blinked back tears, sinking to my knees, grabbing onto his hand, letting out a frustrated scream.  I heard Lana's frantic footsteps coming upstairs, but I was numb.  "You can't be gone," I sobbed, squeezing his limp fingertips.

"Astoria, honey?" Lana called from the doorway.

"Call an ambulance Lana!" I called as I brushed a loose strand of hair back from Rafael's forehead.  "Come on Rafael," I whispered, cupping his cheek, feeling his smooth, icy skin.  "Please don't go," I hiccuped.  "I'm not ready for you to be gone," I sobbed, sinking further into the wood floor, beating my fists against the hard floor.

I am a divorcee.

And now I am a widow.