Chapter 26: Snake

"Can you fix my tie?" Nathaniel asked, tilting his chin up while I finished strapping on my heels. I nodded my head, wordlessly coming to stand in front of him, my fingers barely grazing the soft skin of his neck as I straightened his tie. "Rafael is going to be here this evening," Nathaniel continued, making my movements stop for a moment before finding their rhythm again, straightening his collar before stepping back.

"It will be nice to see him again," I said distractedly, reaching for my purse, my heart racing in my chest. I hadn't seen Rafael in over a year. I wondered if he'd found someone else. I wondered if he was well. Millions of questions flitted through my mind as I tried to ignore the butterflies in my stomach that arose just thinking about him. I hadn't thought about him in months, but now my curiosity was peaked. I wondered if his thoughts had dismissed me as mine had dismissed him.

"I'm sure he will be looking forward to see you, all things considered," Nathaniel said, fixing his cufflinks.

"I'm sure," was my short, frank reply as I adjusted my dress. The warm, July air was relentless in Lyon, so I opted for a tea length, pastel blue dress and a pair of crystal heels that Nathaniel had gotten while he was away in London a few months ago for business.

Nathaniel wore a crisp navy suit and a pale blue tie that matched my dress well. It was ironic, really, how picturesque we looked. So in sync and handsome together we looked from the outside. We'd undoubtedly, as usual, be showered in compliments for our poise and appearances. Nathaniel and I were the picture perfect couple. But that is all we were. Picture perfect.

"Let's get going," Nathaniel said in a rushed tone as he looked down at his silver rolex. "We don't want to be late."

"We wouldn't want that," I said sarcastically, unable to resist the acidity that leaked from my words as he sent me a warning glance. I straightened my shoulders as we stepped out of the elevator. Spectators in the lobby of the building all soundlessly watched after us as we walked through, outwardly appearing to be the power duo we'd become known to be.

"The Ferrari?" I asked as Nathaniel opened the door to the glossy, black vehicle with red interior.

"I figured it would be a nice change of pace," Nathaniel said, motioning for me to get in the car. I set him a half glare half sugar sweet grin as I sat in the car, collecting the skirt of my dress as he shut the door behind me before stepping into the drivers seat. "I really wish you'd be more civil with me."

"We both wished for more from the other, how does it feel to be disappointed?" I said irritably as the car fell into silence.

"I've told you a million times I'm sorry," Nathaniel said, finally breaking the silence as we sat at a red light. "Things with Portia..."

"Please, just let's get through this night, Nathaniel, without another fight about her," I whispered, fighting the irritability bubbling in my chest.

"Okay," he said softly, reaching for my hand from across the gearshift but I sent him a warning glare and he wordlessly recoiled his hand, resting his hand back on the wheel. His attention returned to the road and I couldn't stop the pang of hurt I felt in my chest, burning at the back of my eyes as I watched him.

He was so handsome; his jaw was peppered with a light dusting of stubble and his light brown eyes were focused and intent on ignoring me. But this time, like all the others, I had asked for his silence. It was easier to brush off his advances than it was to embrace him. I loved him, even after everything, but I couldn't be in love with him, not again.