Chapter 4 - Starpaw Decides

(Flamers, you're all satanists! Anyone who doesn't like the story is a satanist 'cause Starpaw has such a strong connection with StarClan! That's why you don't like it! It's 'cause you don't like Jesus!)

     "Starpaw, wake up. It's time for patrol."

     Starpaw opened her bright orange eyes and looked around. "Oh my gosh, who was that?" she wondered.

     "It's me, Graystripe," the voice whispered again. Starpaw got up and saw the gray warrior standing before her.

     "Oh my gosh, Graystripe! What do you want?" she questioned.

     Graystripe looked at Starpaw with his yellow eyes gleaming. "Will you be my mate?" he asked.

     "Oh my gosh, Graystripe, that's so nice!" Starpaw nearly screamed, and was glad that no one else was in the apprentice den. She looked back at the gray warrior. "But, Firestar already asked me."

     "Well then, he's just an idiot."

     "Why do you say that?" exclaimed Starpaw.

     Graystripe looked at her with a mean glint in his eyes. "I don't like him," squeaked the warrior as he looked around quickly to make sure no one was hearing. "He's a mean cat!"

     "Oh my gosh, you mean like Scourge?" Starpaw asked, shocked at how Graystripe – Firestar's best friend – said he didn't like him.

     "No, you're much prettier than Scourge," replied Graystripe. He leaned over and licked the purple apprentice on her head. "I want you to be my mate," he repeated.

     "Well, maybe," Starpaw said quietly, looking up at Graystripe. "But... But what would Firestar say?"

     Graystripe quickly looked around again, then replied smoothly, "I don't think he would mind."

     "Oh my gosh, sure!" Starpaw exclaimed happily.

     "What're you two talking about?" demanded a voice. An angry Firestar was entering the den.

     "Oh, uh, nothing, Firestar. Go back to sleep!" mewled Starpaw, hoping he would leave so she could be alone with Graystripe.

     "Yeah, Firestar, there's nothing to worry about!" cheered Graystripe.

     But Firestar didn't leave. Instead, he growled, "I thought I heard you asking her to be your mate."

     "Oh, uh, yeah," Starpaw confessed. Firestar didn't leave, like she had expected. Instead, the flame-colored tom leaped at and pinned down Graystripe!

     "I want to be with her!" Firestar hissed as he clawed the gray warrior's face.

     "No, I do!" Graystripe spat back, his cheek welling up with blood.

     "Guys, stop fighting! You can both be my mates," Starpaw cried out to get the two to stop fighting. "We can keep it a secret from the –"

     "No, we can't do that!" howled Firestar. "There can only be one! Otherwise, you'll be cheating on us!"

     "So, Starpaw, who'll you pick?" Graystripe purred as Firestar released him. The gray warrior stood up and shook his ruffled pelt before eagerly looking at Starpaw.