Chapter Thirteen

Amelia's POV

After a few moments Daniel gently set me down on the ground. As I quickly walked away from him, I turned slightly when I heard a sound from behind me. Daniel had been there a moment ago, but he'd suddenly disappeared and reappeared back on the stage. The crowd completely erupted.

As I sat alone backstage waiting for the horseman, I was mesmerised by their show. I frowned to myself as the four of them called Arthur onto the stage. As the trick began to progress I was horrified when I realised that they had robbed him and transferred the money into the crowds accounts, claiming that the crowd were all loopholed out of their settlements by Trestler insurance when they lost their homes after a hurricane. Even though they were claiming to do something good, I could feel my blood boiling. They were never going to stop committing crimes. I quickly stood up and grabbed my bag. I needed to get back to the hotel and away from this environment.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

A couple of hours had passed since I left the theater and I was sitting in the hotel lounge, gazing in numb shock at my phone. I couldn't believe that this had happened to me and it was all their fault. My head snapped up as the lobby door opened and Henley, Merritt and Daniel walked in, laughing and chatting happily amongst themselves. They froze as they saw my angry expression.

"Uh-oh." Merritt muttered, as he clearly figured out instantly what the problem was.

"Yeah that's one way of putting it." I snapped.

Merritt muttered something and quickly walked upstairs, clearly not able to face what he'd done.

"It's very unattractive when you pout like that." Henley said.

"I'm not pouting, you don't realise what you've done!" I exclaimed.

"Okay guys, calm down, what happened Mia?" Daniel piped up.

"I've lost my job." I told him.

"What, why?" he frowned.

"Because the four of you robbed Arthur and now he can't afford a personal assistant." I stated.

"Thanks to you lot being criminals I now can't afford to pay the rent on the flat!" I added angrily.

Daniel gazed at me, clearly in a state of numb shock. It was obvious from his expression that he had no idea this would happen. He sighed and sat next to me on the sofa.

"I'm really sorry I had no idea this would happen." he said quietly.

"But that doesn't change that it did, what am I going to do now?!" I cried.

"You can stay with us, we'll take care of you, we owe you that much." he sighed.

I glanced at him as a thought suddenly occurred to me. Now that I no longer worked for Arthur, I could finally go home.

"I'd rather just go home." I said thoughtfully.

Daniel's POV

My heart felt like it had been ripped out of my chest as she said those words. I had only just got her back in my life, I couldn't bear to lose her again, especially not now that I knew. Maybe I should tell her how I felt and ask her to stay with me, to never leave my side again. But I was torn...even if I told her how I felt she wouldn't want a relationship with me again. Unless of course I told her that I knew everything, but how could I tell her that when I knew how hurt she would be?

"I'm going home." she announced decisively.

I watched in horror as she stood up and began to walk upstairs.

"Mia, wait!" I called.

"What is it Danny?" she sighed as she turned back to face me.

My heart fluttered slightly when she said my name. She hadn't called me 'Danny' in a long time.

Amelia's POV

Daniel smiled at me as he slowly climbed the stairs and stopped when he was standing just in front of me.

"There's something on your face." he said intensely.

"What is it?" I whispered, beginning to panic that there might be a wasp in my hair.

"Just hold still." he whispered.

I nodded slightly and remained completely still. My skin tingled as he reached towards my right ear and gently picked something up. He slowly withdrew his hand and held it in front of my face. I gasped as I saw a blue butterfly perched on his finger.

"Where did that come from?" I frowned.

"That's a trade secret." he smiled.

"Hold your hand out." he told me.

I did as he instructed and watched as he gently placed the butterfly on my hand.

"Wow, it's beautiful." I whispered as it stretched out it's wings.

"I think it likes you." he smiled.

I smiled and glanced at Daniel who was watching me closely.

"We need to talk." he stated.

"About what?" I frowned.

"Everything." he whispered. As he said those words the butterfly left my hand and as soon as Daniel snapped his fingers, the butterfly disappeared.