Chapter Eight

Daniel's POV

My heart pounded against my chest as I followed Agent Rhodes into the police station. The other horseman and I knew that we'd be taken in for questioning over the bank incident at some point, but I hadn't wanted for Mia to get caught up in this. The way that she kissed me last night had taken my breath away. I found myself pleased that Serena had stormed out last night, otherwise Mia and I wouldn't have had our special moment together. I hadn't meant to call Serena 'Mia' whilst we were in bed together. It just sort of happened. It suddenly dawned on me that even after three years I was still madly in love with her. I quickly shook my head...trying to clear my thoughts and focus on the task in hand.

My eyes darted towards Jack who nodded slowly at me before he was manhandled into a room for questioning. I knew what his signal meant. We'd spent many hours discussing how we would outwit the FBI and in doing so we would be released from custody.

I slowly sat down at the table and watched as one of the officers handcuffed my hands to it. Agent Rhodes glared at me as he and a blonde woman sat opposite me.

"So, if you had nothing to do with it, then how did the playing card get into the vault?" she asked, in a strong french accent.

"That would be erm...what do the kids call it these days...oh yes that's right...magic." I said, as smugly and condescending as I could muster.

"Just answer the question okay smart arse." Dylan said angrily as he roughly pushed the back of my neck.

"You can keep that...don't share it with him." I told the french girl as I smiled at her and handed her my deck of cards.

In order to get out of here I had to outwit Dylan, but it couldn't hurt to flirt with the french woman. My thoughts wandered to Mia, I desperatly hoped that she was okay...

Amelia's POV

I sat quietly in the interview room, silently picking my nails. Now that I had time alone with my thoughts, I couldn't help but feel angry with myself for kissing Daniel. The last thing I wanted to do was get close to him again, and allow him back in my life. We'd both been hurt three years ago, and I couldn't allow that to happen again. I needed to stay away from him.

My palms were becoming sweaty as I waited to be interviewed. I had no idea if I would ever get out of here. I was innocent, I had no idea what the horseman were planning, I just had to hope the FBI believed me.

My head snapped up as the door opened and Agent Rhodes entered followed by a blonde girl.

"I'm Dylan and this is Alma." he quickly introduced as they sat down.

I nodded, my hands beginning to shake with nerves.

"So what's your connection to the horseman?" Alma asked as she opened what I assumed was my file.

"I don't have a connection to them, I'm just Arthur's personal assistant." I answered.

"You mean Arthur Trestler?" Alma clarified.

I nodded slowly.

"So you don't know them personally?" Dylan questioned.

I sighed and stared at the table. It was obvious that this would come up at some point.

"Just Daniel, the others I only met a few days ago." I told him.

"And how do you know Daniel?" Alma piped up.

"We grew up together in Chicago." I answered.

"Okay, so Daniel told you that he was planning to rob a bank?" Dylan asked.

"No, I had no idea about that!" I protested.

"But you guys are close, it seems like something he would tell you." he insisted.

"We're not close anymore." I said quietly.

"And why is that?" he frowned.

"We dated for a while and it didn't end well. Up until a few days ago, I hadn't seen him for three years." I said.

Dylan and Alma stared at me, their eyes not leaving my face. It was clear they were trying to figure out if I was telling the truth or not.

"I didn't know anything about the trick at all. I didn't even know about him being part of the horseman until Arthur told me I would be a PA for them too." I insisted.

I saw them glance at each other and Dylan nodded slightly to Alma, he seemed to finally be satisfied that I was telling the truth.

"In that case you're free to leave." Dylan stated, quickly closing the file.

I nodded and slowly stood up. Dylan smiled at me and held the door open for me. The rush of relief that I felt when I finally left the station was intense. They believed that I was innocent and now I was finally free. As I walked outside and squinted in the bright sunlight I smiled slightly as I saw Daniel and Jack leaning against the wall, clearly waiting for me.

"Hey, did they hurt you?" Daniel asked gently, as he took my wrist and carefully examined the marks made by the handcuffs.

He frowned at me as I shook my head and snatched my hand away from him.

"Were you waiting for me?" I asked Jack, quickly avoiding Daniel's gaze.

"Maybe." Jack grinned cheekily.

He laughed and gently wrapped his arm around my shoulders as we walked away together.