Old Self

"And after you're done with that the stables need to be mucked out and my armor needs polishing," Arthur had been going easy on Merlin, but that didn't seem to be helping so he though that by making things go back to how they used to be Merlin might get better

"Yes sire," Merlin said

Arthur was annoyed that Merlin didn't have any smart comments like he usually did. He was about to say something when there was a knock at the door.

Merlin answered it and Guinevere came in with a tray of food.

"GUINEVERE!," Arthur shouted and jumped behind his folding screen as he was still in his night clothes and he did not want Guinevere to see.

Guinevere blushed and said,"My apologies sire I just wanted to bring you breakfast"

"Thanks Gwen just put it there," Merlin said and motioned towards the table.

Merlin found this scene utterly hilarious. Gwen was Morgana's handmaiden so after Morgana disappeared there was no point for her to stay. However Arthur insisted that she should stay. The reason was quite plain for anyone to see even if neither Arthur or Gwen would come right out and admit it.

"I'll be leaving now," Gwen squeaked and left

"Merlin I need a new jousting partner," Arthur said from behind the screen "All the knights are far too easy for me to beat I guess that's what happens when one is the best in the land,"

"She left," Merlin replied knowing Arthur was only saying all of this for Gwen's benefit.

"Oh," Arthur said and emerged from behind the screen.

Arthur sat down at the table and began eating the food Guinevere had brought. Merlin started to leave but Arthur said, "Merlin sit down eat"

"Sorry?" Merlin asked confused by this gesture

"Sit. Eat. That's an order," Arthur said hoping to order Merlin back into his old self

Okay so I know the story is boring right now but the next chapter is going to get better I swear I just have to lay down some exposition. So please stick with me.