Farewell, Old Friend

The underworld was just how Morgana had described it. Dark and cold. It was so cold. But where was Circe? Merlin turned all around, but all he saw was darkness.

"Well, it is not everyday that the living deigns to visit. Pray tell what the occasion is?" Merlin heard a voice say. If ice was a sound it would have been that voice. The sound of it made him feel even colder.

"Circe," Merlin said, "You know who I am. Show yourself," He demanded.

A bright shining light appeared over Merlin. She was just as Merlin had described her. All different shades of orange hair, skin, and eyes.

"Emrys," A voice said. It did not come from Circe's mouth, but Merlin knew it was hers. "What are you here for,"

"I'm here for the soul of Morgana Le Fay, daughter of King Uther,"

Circe had no facial expressions. Her face was always blank and unmoving.

"You know the price, great one?"

"I do," Merlin said. He had read about it in the White Book he knew what he must do.

"Then it shall be as you wish,"

Circe disappeared and in her place was Morgana. Not the dark crazy haired Morgana, but Morgana as Merlin had known her. She wore a plain white dress and her dark her fell in waves to her waist.

"Merlin?" She asked.

"Morgana" He whispered.

They ran to each other. She hugged him tightly, and then kissed him. Both of their faces were wet from the heavy tears flowing down their faces. They separated but still touched foreheads.

"Oh, Merlin. You saved me. Thank you. Thank you!" Morgana exclaimed.

"Morgana, Morgana, it's really you," He had his hands around her waist, and she had her hands around his shoulder, but then he took one of his hands and held hers, "You're warm!" He laughed.

She laughed too between her tears, "Merlin, we can finally be together. Arthur and Gwen will rule, and we can get married at live at Camelot, also. We can finally be happy,"

Merlin smiled and then let go of Morgana, "Tell Arthur I'm sorry," He said.

"What?" Morgana asked. Merlin pushed her away and then said, "Gabh air ais gu saoghal nam beò"

☆★☆

Morgana woke up beside Merlin in her hut. Arthur and Gwen were sitting in chairs very near her. She woke up with Merlin's name on her lips.

"Morgana, you're awake," Arthur said and he and Gwen crouched down beside her and Merlin.

"Merlin," Morgana said louder this time, "Merlin!" She said even louder she sat up and held Merlin's head in her lap.

"Morgana, why isn't he waking up?" Gwen asked.

Tears began streaming down Morgana's face again. "I-I don't know," She stammered.

Arthur paled. He sat on the other side of Merlin. "MERLIN!" He screamed "MERLIN!" He held Merlin by the collar and shook him. His tears were soaking Merlin's shirt.

Morgana let go of Merlin's body and leaned into Guinevere and cried.

"He knew," Morgana sobbed "He knew"

Arthur wasn't listening he was still shaking Merlin like Merlin was only sleeping and needed to be woken up. "Wake up, Merlin" Arthur sobbed, "Wake up," He repeated. "You swore you'd come back to me,"

Guinevere was crying too as she held Morgana, "What do you mean he knew?" She asked.

Morgana looked at Arthur, "Arthur, he told me to tell you he's sorry,"

Arthur screamed No. He put his head on Merlin's chest and kept repeating, "You swore" as he cried.

They all held each other for a long time mourning the loss of the best man they had ever known.