Snake in the Castle

Morgana was out in the forest picking berries. She wore her classic green cloak, with her long raven hair unbound. She sang gently to herself as she picked strawberries.

"I'll ask the kitchens to make a strawberry tart for Merlin," She thought to herself. Her thoughts were disturbed by a strange noise coming from a nearby bush. She went over to investigate and saw a brown rabbit, with its leg caught in a trap.

"You poor thing," Morgana said and carefully helped the rabbit.

She set down her basket and sat on a log with the injured animal. She tore off the hem of her dress and bound the rabbit's leg in it. Morgana tenderly stroked the rabbit's head, and it laid in her lap looking affectionately back at her.

"You're a sweet little thing aren't you?" She said with a pleasant smile.

The rabbit seemed to smile back and then began to convulse. It transformed into a black viper and bit her hand. Morgana yelped in fear and then threw the writhing snake off her lap.

"Ssssstupid, trusssssting princessssss," The snake hissed and then slithered away

♛♛♛

Morgana opened her eyes. She was lying in her bed. It had all been just a dream. She had been having lots of horrid dreams like this. Where she helped someone or something, but then had just been stabbed in the back.

She couldn't believe how naive she had once been. She used to help everyone and see the good in everyone, and what had she gotten in return? Her father lied to her about who she was, he wouldn't even claim her. The second man she had loved tried to kill her, and the first man she had loved...She shuddered involuntarily. Even after all these years, she still couldn't bring herself to think about it.

Everyone she helped just turned against her. It was only a matter of time before that helpful innocent girl died. Perhaps it was her tragic destiny.

Morgana sat up to the sound of horses. She got up and looked out her window to see Arthur and the knights return, but she didn't see Merlin. Usually, he was at Arthur's right hand.

It amused Morgana to see how much Arthur and Merlin's relationship had subtly changed. Arthur once used to say that Merlin was just a servant and didn't really require any respect, and now Arthur seemed to consult Merlin for practically every decision.

"Ah, there he is" Morgana had finally spotted Merlin. He was at the back of the group, which was unusual for him.

♔♔♔

Merlin hadn't spoken to Arthur the whole trip back. Arthur had given up. It didn't look like Merlin was going to come to his senses anytime soon, and anything Arthur said just seemed to anger Merlin.

He was also trying to avoid another punch. He touched where his lip had been cut and smiled. Who would have thought that Merlin would've ever punched the King.

"Arthur,"

Arthur looked and saw Guinevere standing by the entrance. She was wearing a simple purple dress and though she had tried valiantly to pull back her abundant hair, but a few stray curls had escaped at the crown of her head. It made her look like a lovely angel, Arthur thought. He dismounted his horse and walked to her.

He had long ago told her to stop calling him "Your Majesty" they were friends. Equals.Arthur had heard the rumors that people said about him. That he was too informal with his servants. That his father would be appalled at how familiar he was with the lower class. But Arthur felt the more unlike his wicked father he was, the better.

"Arthur, what happened to your lip?" Guinevere asked.

"You're so perceptive, Guinevere. How did you notice?"

"I can't help, but note changes in you. I dare say I would notice if you trimmed your nails.

Arthur smiled at this "I hope everything has been well while we've been away,"

"Indeed, the Lady Morgana is adjusting back to life here,"

"Is she now?" Arthur inquired and narrowed his eyes, "Guinevere, if you...suspected anything was wrong...you would tell me, right?"

Guinevere eyes widened. It was almost like Arthur had read her mind. She was still troubled about Morgana, but how could she say that to Arthur. They had grown up together, they used to be best friends. If Guinevere expressed anything about Morgana, it would be instantly perceived as the greatest insult.

"I-I wouldn't want to offend anyone," Guinevere said.

"Guinevere," Arthur said as he carefully placed his hands on Guinevere's shoulders. He leaned in so that their foreheads were only inches apart, "I know you, and trust your judgement. I know you would never speak badly of anyone, unless they had actually done something bad,"

Guinevere bit her lip and hesitated, but then she leaned in close to Arthur and whispered, "Not here, I'll meet you tonight. After everyone's gone to bed, meet me back right here,"

She smiled and curtsied and began to turn away when Arthur said, "Wait, there's one more thing I need to tell you,"

"What is it?"

"It's Merlin,"

Guinevere looked behind Arthur at Merlin. He looked broody and aloof. He had looked like that a lot after Morgana had gone missing, but now she was back.

"Is he alright?"

Arthur massaged his forehead, "He's quit actually,"

Guinevere's mouth opened in surprise, "What? You're joking! What happened?"

"I'll tell you about it later, but I'll need a new servant," Arthur said and thoughtfully rubbed his lip.

"I'll see to it," Guinevere said. She looked at Arthur for a moment and then asked, "Arthur, was he the one who-" She motioned to her own lip.

Arthur laughed knowingly."Can you believe it?"

Guinevere laughed in disbelief, "Merlin of all people. I never thought... I just didn't think,"

"I believe a lot about Merlin has changed since the arrival of a certain guest," Arthur said and looked up at Morgana's window. Oddly enough he wasn't all that surprised to see a pair of cold green eyes looking back at him.