Petitions

"Sire, my village is on the very edge of Camelot and the bandit problem has gotten quite bad,"

Merlin stood by as villagers told Arthur their problems and Arthur tried to fix them

"What village is this?" Arthur inquired

"Castellum, Sire,"

"We stationed Knights there just last month did we not?" Arthur asked

Merlin tuned out the conversation, he had too many things on his mind. It had been about 2 weeks since Arthur came into his chambers with a "feeling", but Merlin noticed that he really didn't look well. He seemed thinner and his hands Merlin noticed shook sometimes. Arthur also had permanent bags under his eyes. He was always awake when Merlin left and awake before Merlin arrived with breakfast.

The villager with the bandit problem left.

"Jesus, how many are there today?" Arthur said

"I can tell them to leave if you don't feel up to it, Sire" Sir Leon said

"No, send them in," Arthur said

" Yes, Sire" Leon said and went to fetch the next person

The other thing that occupied Merlin's mind was Morgana. He just could not stop thinking about her, and it didn't help that the only dreams he had were of her. Even if he wasn't sleeping. All Merlin could think about was the pain in her eyes when she had realized he poisoned her. Her lifeless body in his arms. The way Morgause took her away from him. Merlin regretted that he hadn't spent more time with Morgana. He knew now that he took their picnics for granted. And all he had done at their picnics was try to get information out of her. He felt horrible for making her fall in love with him.

He thought about the one kiss they shared. He remembered how soft her skin was, and how her lips tasted like strawberries and how she smelt like lavender and the way his hand ran through her silky soft hair.

Leon came in with the next villager. There were two of them. One was a big strong looking man the other was a smaller figure in chains. Merlin couldn't tell if the one in chains was a man or a woman as they had a bag over their head. The man was holding the chains. When he had reached an appropriate distance from Arthur he threw down the chains so that the figure fell to the ground.

"Your 'ighness," The man said with a thick accent

"What is your name?" Arthur asked

"Ed, 'ighness" Ed replied

"What is your petition , Ed?" Arthur asked eyeing the figure in chains

"I wuz just tryin' to sleep one night, right? and all of a sudden I hear this bangin' so I turn to me wife, but 'course she's fast asleep. I always said that woman wouldn't even wake up for the bloody devil," Ed said and then broke out into laughter, but stopped when the only reaction he got was a polite smile from Arthur.

"anyway I go to see what the bangin's about and i see this girl tryin' to steal my horse," Ed said "So naturally 'ighness eyefought (it's supposed to mean I thought) i ought to teach this girl a lesson and bring her to the king,"

"She'll be thrown in the dungeons," Arthur said wanting to get all the petitions over with

"Fank you, 'ighness get up girl," Ed said to the girl and they began to leave

"Wait!" Merlin blurted out.

Merlin didn't know what came over him, but something didn't feel right.

The girl wore a dirty bag on her head, and an even dirtier plain dress that resembled a pillowcase.

"Take the bag off her head," Merlin ordered

"Merlin, what the hell are you doing?" Arthur asked  

"Something's not right," Merlin said

Ed looked at Arthur who just sighed and said, "do as he says"

Ed took the bag off the girl's face.

Her face was even dirtier than her dress, but there was no mistaking it.

There in front of Merlin was the Lady Morgana