Morgana's Tale

I had died. Well of course you know about that. Oh, don't make that face. I'm only teasing. So, I had died. I told you once that when I died, I saw your face a lot and that's true I did, but then after I saw my life again I was in another place.

It was unbelievably cold and dark, it was so dark. But there was a woman there, I could see her. She glowed so bright. Her skin and hair were all gold, but her hair was darker. She had golden eyes too. She hovered above me. Her hair was long and spread out around her like she was underwater. She didn't speak, but I could still hear her.

"Morgana, my child, welcome," Her words were warm, but the tone was cold. I shuddered as I heard the words in the air.

"You have died, my love. Welcome to the place where your people go. My name is Circe. I am the first of our kind. This is where we come, child. Rest now, your troubles are over,"

Her words were kind still, but nothing about where I was or how I felt reflected that. I felt cold and in pain. I felt like I was being torn in two.

I remember hearing a woman scream. It was a scream unlike I had ever heard before. She was so full of pain. I wanted to help her. I looked around to try to find her, but then everything went black.

The next time I opened my eyes I was in a damp dark cottage on a pile of hay. Morgause laid dead next to me. I didn't really know what had happened. I was very weak and fell back asleep immediately.

I must have been asleep for days because by the time I woke Morgause's body had begun to rot. I was starving and oh so thirsty. I found some water in the cottage and drank it. That gave me a bit of strength and I somehow managed to bury Morgause.

The hunger was terrible, Merlin. I never knew what it was really like to be hungry, but it is a pain like no other. For hours I would walk around the blazing hot woods bare foot and weak searching for something--anything to eat. I searched every day for food, and on good days I would find a few berries. I never knew how to hunt or fish or any of that, so most days there would be nothing. In those days my hair fell out in clumps, my teeth ached and wiggled, and my skin would just peel off of me at the tiniest scrape. Some days I would just fall over and lie on the dirt clutching my stomach. I didn't even have enough in me for tears to come.

Most nights, though, I returned to my cottage. It wasn't much, but at least I had a place to shelter me from the rain.

I was out in the forest looking for food, when I heard some bandits. I tried to hide, but they saw me. They took me. Oh, Merlin, I was so afraid. I didn't know what they would do to me. A girl all by myself. Luckily, they didn't harm me. I was sold into slavery.

Nobody really wanted me, though. The first family I went to washed and cleaned me. When they saw what I looked like under all the dirt, the wife of my master told him to get rid of me. She couldn't bear having a slave fairer than her. The second family I went to was actually quite lovely—well in comparison. I looked after the many children of a wealthy couple. The children all shared the same father, but his current wife was mother only to the youngest. The rest belonged to the man's first wife. His current wife loathed those children and managed to kill one of them. Whether it was an accident or not I shall never know, but I was blamed for it, and sold again. The next house was so cruel. It was a family of three. A widowed father, and his two boys. The father was lonely, and the boys were on the cusp of manhood. I lasted about two weeks there, and then I ran away. It was either that or take my life. I couldn't bear it anymore.

I wandered around for weeks or months or maybe just days I honestly don't know, I had no idea where I was. I desperately wanted to get back to Camelot, but I didn't know how. I guess I was closer than I thought, because when I tried stealing a horse from that man. He took me right to Arthur, and to you.