Chapter 35

SO! Here is a chapter I've been waiting for a long time to do. Fun fact: This was going to be the chapter where Mika and Sokka FINALLY kissed for the first time but I couldn't wait. But yeah, this chapter and the next one are gonna be FREAKY.

The only source of light is the warm fire we're all surrounding.

My arm was currently around Sokka, I was so happy we were together again, even if our breakup was for a few days.

"Suddenly, they heard something down the hall in the dark. Oooh ... It came into the torchlight ... and they knew the blade of Wing Fung was haunted!  Ooh-aaah!" Sokka screams standing up and pointing his sword at the fire.

"I think I like "the man with a sword for a hand" better." Aang sighs unimpressed.

"Water Tribe slumber parties must stink" Toph groans falling back.

"No, wait! I've got one! And this is a true Southern Water Tribe story." Katara cheers.

"Is this one of those "a friend of my cousin knew some guy that this happened to" stories?" Sokka asks sitting down and wrapping an arm around my waist.

"No. It happened to Mom" Katara says, which causes Sokka to stiffen next to me. The rest of us sit up, interest sparking in our eyes.

"One winter when Mom was a girl, a snowstorm buried the whole village for weeks. A month later, Mom noticed she hadn't seen her friend Nini since the storm. So Mom and some others went to check on Nini's family. When they got there, no one was home. Just a fire flickering in the fireplace. While the men went out to search, Mom stayed in the house. When she was alone, she heard a voice. "It's so cold and I can't get warm!" Mom turned and saw Nini standing by the fire. She was blue like she was frozen. Mom ran outside for help, but when everyone came back, Nini was gone." Katara spoke.

My hands covered my face in fear and Sokka hid behind the tree stump. "Where'd she go?" Sokka asked peeking out.

"No one knows. Nini's house stands empty to this day, but sometimes, people see smoke coming up from the chimney, like little Nini is still trying to get warm." Katara smirks.

"Wait! Guys, did you hear that?  I hear people under the mountain. And they're screaming. " Toph says, which makes Aang, Sokka and Katara clutch to each other.

I stand up from my scared state and I press my hands to the ground. "Toph, I don't feel anything" I frown looking at her. "Pft! Nice try, Toph." Sokka laughs breaking away from Aang and Katara.

"No, I'm serious. I hear something." Toph spoke and suddenly, I feel the vibrations of voices..screaming. "I think I hear it too.." I trail off.

"You're probably just jumpy from the ghost stories ..." Katara says as I stand up. 

"It just...stopped" Toph trails off looking confused.

"All right, now I'm getting scared." Aang shivers.

"Hello children" an old woman says, causing all five of us to scream loudly.

There, stands an old woman with a wrinkled smile.  "Sorry to frighten you. My name is Hama. You children shouldn't be out in the forest by yourselves at night. I have an inn nearby. Why don't you come back there for some spiced tea and warm beds?"

"Yes please" Sokka says embarrassed standing up.

----------------------------------------------------------

I sit next to Sokka at a small table in Hama's inn. 

It has a very homey feeling, yet I can't shake of a feeling of nervousness. "Thanks for letting us stay here tonight. You have a lovely inn." Katara smiles, clearly feeling safe here.

"Aren't you sweet?  You know you should be careful. People have been disappearing in those woods you were camping in." Hama warns. "What do you mean "disappearing"?" Sokka asks, looking at the woman with wariness.

"When the moon turns full, people walk in and they don't come out.  Who wants more tea?" Hama says standing up with a teapot. I look at Aang, who also looks terrified. I'd rather be in a room alone with Azula than be here.

"Don't worry, you'll all be completely safe here. Why don't I show you to your rooms and you can get a good night's rest?" Hama says smiling a toothless smile.

-------------------------------------------------

After being shown my room, I was scared, Katara's story still ringing through the back of my mind.

So, I set off to find Sokka's room.

"I know Momo! This place is creepy!" I hear a voice mumble as the sound of a sword scraps through the halls.

"Sokka?" I question opening the door, to see a shirtless Water Tribe boy with his sword drawn.

His body instantly relaxes at seeing me "Mika? What are you doing in here?"

"My room smells like old lady and it's scary, can I sleep with you?" I ask opening the door wider.

"Please do, Momo isn't doing much protection- not that I need any" Sokka stutters before sliding to the side of the bed.

My feet quickly move me from the door to the bed. With a small jump, I'm in the bed and under the covers. 

"I don't know if I'm gonna be able to fall asleep!" Sokka complains turning to me. "Me neither, this place is creepy!" I whisper scooting closer to Sokka.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I awake to the smell of feet.

"EW!" I screech seeing Sokka's feet have replaced his head. His body is sprawled out on the flooor.

Hama and Katara stand over him, both carrying big smiles. Spirits, it must be a Southern Water Bender thing if they smile this much.

"Wakey Wakey! Time to go shopping!" Hama cheers.