The Other Future King

Sadiku

"Sadiku, Sadiku!"

I groan. "What?"

"It's morning, you're about to be late to your training with mother! You know she's going to be very pissed." Said my brother Omari. He shakes my body to wake me.

My emerald green eyes blink open. I got up on my paws and rush out the cave. "Oh my gosh she is going to kill me!"

Omari shook his head rolling his eyes. "You're welcome!" He yelled out.

"Thanks bro!"

I ran to the area where mother and I always train at. It's called, The Outlands. No one haven't lived here in YEARS. It use to be home to a small Pride of lions. Now it's just an empty, quiet, dusty abandon land. Animals only come and go here or just passing through. I found mother sitting on a high termite mound.

"Good morning, mother!" I greet, while kneeling to the ground.

She may be my mother, but I still have to respect her Royal title. She climbs down the termite mound.

"You were almost late. I was beginning to worry if you've overslept." Mother says.

"No, no. I was actually looking for you but I see you've already had beat me here." I lied, with a small chuckle.

"Hmm, very well then son. Let's now go over what we have learned last week. I want to see if you were paying attention."

Mother circles around me. "You are after the Prince the future King, but came across his father the King instead. What do you do?"

"Fight and kill him." I answer.

"Not just yet Sadiku. You wouldn't battle him alone of course. You would need back up! The King will have his supportive lionesses there. You'll be out numbered! Sometimes you have to think smart. The future King is who you need fight alone. He's the one that's getting in the way of that crown!"

I nod. "Right!"

"How would you kill him?" She asks.

"Slice him by the throat or have his neck inside my jaws. I want his parents to see and feel the hyenas pain. You've claim that they took out your mother long ago. Right?"

"Yes, young one. But that is not why I want revenge. My mother's death was her own death wish. She was foolish for what she'd done trusting a selfish lion. I want revenge because that land used to be my home. The clan and I were forced to leave. We were blamed to a crime that we did not commit. Nothing but innocence! Now we're here with barely food or water. I can't let the clan suffer. They still depend on me as their hyena matriarch. That is why we need to go to war and kill the King and his son. You Sadiku will have the strong power and rise as the new King. You'll have your reward and the clan will have ours, a place to stay and food to eat."

"I see..."

"I watched you fight your brother yesterday. You're skills are getting very good. Keep up the good practice!"

I half smiled. "Thanks."

Mother smiles back then walks off. "We are done with lessons for the day."