Chapter Thirty-two.

"Samantha," my mother called, as she sat at the kitchen table, sipping away at her first cup of coffee.

"What is it, mama?" I asked, as I took a big bite out of my peanut butter toast.

Her blue eyes met with mine, as  despair took over her once joyful expression. She didn't look too good this morning. What was wrong? Is she feeling ill?

Mother let out a heavy sigh, as her entire body tensed up. "There is no easy way to say this..." She spoke softly, as she looked at her reflection from her mug. "Auntie Jillian and Payton aren't here anymore." My mother stated.

I cocked my head to the right In confusion, as I raised an eyebrow her way.

"What are you talking about, silly!" I giggled, as I took another bite from my toast. "Auntie Jill and Payton are next door!" I explained through a mouthful of food.

Mother shook her head, as tears ran down her cheeks. My giggles seized when I saw how upset she was.

"Mama!" I called, wanting her to look up at me.

She didn't say a word, nor did she move. It was like she was frozen in time, and no matter how hard you try, you can't pull her back.

"What's wrong, mama? Why are you crying." I asked. "I don't like it when mama is sad. It makes me sad." I mumbled loud enough for her to hear, as I stared down at my half eaten toast.

My mother slowly picked up her head, as she let out a sigh, making me lift my head up to look at her. She shook her head once... twice... three times, before she opened her mouth to speak.

"Sammy," Mother called. "You know about heaven, right?" She asked.

When she said that, I froze for a moment, before responding with a nod. "Yeah! That's where grandpa lives now. He's living somewhere where he isn't suffering anymore." I reminded her, as I let out a sad sigh. "Why? Why did you ask about heaven?" I asked.

The room fell silent for a moment, before my mother could continue.

"Auntie Jill and Payton are with grandpa, sweetie." My mother announced, as she glanced at me, waiting for my response.

I shook my head, as I let out a short giggle. "No!" I retorted. "Jilly and Payton were healthy." I pointed out, as I picked up my toast.

"Sweetie, you don't have to be sick to go to heaven." My mother sniffed, as tears began to run down her cheeks again.

I sat there silent, as I dropped my toast to my place. "How?" I asked. "How are they in heaven if they are healthy?"

My mother sunk in her seat, as she ran a shaky hand through her hair. "They're many ways to go to heaven, sweetie." My mother explained. "Auntie Jill and Payton were hurt, very badly. God saw everything and didn't want them to suffer, so he brought them to heaven with him." She finished.

I slowly took in everything that my mother had just said, as I pulled my blue orbs away from mother, and into my lap.

"So..." I spoke, quietly. "They're... gone? ... Dead?" I mumbled.

My mother's eyes grew with shock at what I just said, but slowly relaxed, as she nodded. Tears ran down her face in the process.

"Yes, sweetie. They're dead." My mother choked. "They're in heaven, with god and grandpa right now. We won't see them until we go to heaven one day." She announced.

My voice suddenly vanished, as I sat still in front of my mother. My eyes were wide, as they stayed planted on my lap. There wasn't anything I could do at the moment, but be frozen, as every piece of information I had received just now, rushed in like a waterfall.