Chapter Sixteen

Three nights in a row, Dan had spent lying awake, staring at Phil's bedroom ceiling. He had barely eaten, hadn't left the house and hadn't spoken a word to anyone, not even to himself. Usually, on the occasion when he found himself at home, completely alone, he took the time to talk to himself. He found it comforting, being able to arrange his own thoughts. He talked about the day ahead, or narrated his current activity. Over the past three days, however, Dan found nothing to say. He was an empty, meaningless carcass of a human. He considered having a bowl of cereal, or a round of toast, but his stomach immediately convulsed at the thought of eating. Dan felt as if he had been wasting away for years, yet it had only been a mere three days. Because he hadn't slept, nor eaten, he often couldn't muster the energy to get out of bed, so he kept his laptop nearby. Despite the fact that he had the internet at his fingertips, he often found himself staring mindlessly ahead, unmoving, unblinking.

Phil opened his eyes only to be blinded by sunlight that was streaming in from Jake's window. He estimated that the time was roughly half past six. Jake was still sound asleep, his right arm and leg draped over Phil's body. This was the third night Phil had slept at Jake's. The three nights were about as peaceful as London city centre during rush hour, and Phil had got a collective ten hours of sleep. This morning, however, Phil decided that he would return home. He would face Dan. Phil made a weak attempt to pry himself away from Jake's embrace, after a minute or so of hopeless struggling, he was free, and Jake resumed his peaceful slumber. He sauntered down to the kitchen, hoping that Sarah would still be sleeping, but when he turned the corner, Sarah was typing away on her laptop.
'Morning,' Phil muttered, but received no answer, not even as much as a glance. Shrugging his shoulders, Phil reached for the Frosties and poured himself a generous helping. He then joined Sarah at the table. The two sat in silence, Phil munching half-heartedly and Sarah concentrated, watching her screen with a slight scowl. Sarah was actually quite pretty, Phil observed with a frown. If she lightened up a bit more and was less of a pain in the arse, she would be quite a likable person, not that Phil would ever fall for her, he was a flaming homosexual.

Phil finished with his cereal and placed the bowl in the dishwasher, then headed to the bathroom to have a quick shower. He made a stop at Jake's bedroom on the way to borrow some clothes. Phil watched as Jake stirred and slowly woke up. He smiled when he saw Phil rummaging through his drawers.
'Where are you off to?' Jake asked, grinning.
'I'm going to have a shower, then head back home and check on Dan,' Phil replied, not turning to face his boyfriend.
'Oh... Is he alright? Why do you need to "check on" him?' Jake shot Phil a puzzled expression. Phil had never told him about the events that unfolded between himself and Dan, just asked if he could sleep over for a few nights. Jake had agreed, not questioning anything.
'I didn't mean "check", he's not a patient, I just haven't seen him in a while, that's all. I want to make sure he hasn't set the house on fire!' Phil insisted.
'Alright then, go have a shower and be quick, I want one too,' Jake said, before an idea popped into his head. 'Unless you're alright with me joining you?' Jake asked with a smirk.
Phil smiled in return, and Jake jumped up from the bed and grabbed a towel and some clothes, then followed Phil into the bathroom.

//

I'm flying to Australia tonight and I'm so excited!!!

ALSO THANKS SO MUCH FOR 100 TOTAL READ OMGGG ??!?!?