Chapter Thirty One

'Lily!' Dan's calls reverberated around the house, causing the puppy's ears to perk up in curiosity.
'Lily!' he called again slightly louder this time. His voice bounced off the walls and all throughout the flat, coming to a stop in the living room, where the sound faded slightly, quietened by the sheer enormity of the room. But, the sound was still audible for Lily, the little chocolate lab who lay curled up in a ball on the couch.

She jumped up suddenly in response to Dan's calls, and bounded eagerly towards Phil's bedroom. When she reached the room, she refused to come for a stop and instead took a great leap onto the bed, where Dan and Phil lay cuddled together. She turn in frantic circles before dropping down onto the bed, resuming the curled-up stance she had previously positioned herself in.

It had been almost four weeks since Dan and Phil had been to the rescue centre. They had been taking Lily out for regular walks around the park, where they would hold hands and watch as the puppy sprinted frantically around the other dogs.

On one particular walk, Lily had tried to involve Dan and Phil in her animated pandemonium. She regularly sprinted back and forth from the bench they were sat at, occasionally prodding at their feet.
'I think she wants us to run around with her,' Phil had said, a look of dread crossing his face.
'That's definitely not happening,' Dan replied with a decisive sigh. They sat in silence for a few moments, pondering their options.
'I could find a ball?' Phil suggested, glancing sideways at Dan.
'We'll find a ball,' Dan replied, standing up and pulling Phil up after himself.

They strolled home, hand in hand, with Lily walking a few paces in front of them. The wind had picked up slightly to a pleasant breeze that gently shifted their fringes and caused trees to sway contentedly. The movement was mesmerising. A dozen trees swaying in sync while leaves twirled in downwards spirals before being carried away by the breeze to an area only a few yards away from their embarking point. The sun was shining lazily, too, casting a hazy glow on the pavement and causing shadows to blur slightly around the edges. It was a screenshot of pure serenity.

Currently, Dan's head was resting atop Phil's chest, rising and falling in time with the elder's breathing. One hand was draped across Phil's stomach and legs were intertwined underneath the duvet, all while Lily was snoring soundly at the end of the bed.

//

hello sorry its a bit short