♕ | Chapter Seven

__________________

__________________

Chapter Seven: blues clues

Jughead

I HAVE FINALLY made a discovery, finally made some progress. I spent the whole day interviewing the boy scouts, but didn't find a single thing. It took interrogating one of the shy kids to finally crack open the shell. He told me everything I needed to know, and now I plan on telling Betty. After we interrogate Dilton Doiley of course.

"I'm here." She breaths heavily, clearly having run here. It appears this old computer lab is our new hideout, made for more than just writing newsletters. It's now become our detective office. I don't mind, as it's now sort of our thing. I'm just pleased she's as excited to solve this case as I am. I was even more surprised when she wanted my novel to become part of our weekly newsletter. I didn't know she had so much faith in my writing.

"Welcome Detective Cooper." I greet with a smile, leaning against the desk.

She smiles and looks down at her shoes at the name before leaning against the desk beside me. "You ready to confess Doiley?" She crosses her arm across her chest at Dilton sitting across from us.

"Only if you keep this away from the cops." He comprises, crossing his arms across his chest to show off his stubbornness.

"No promises there pal." I inform him, looking over at Betty who nods.

"What did you see at Sweet Water River on July fourth?" She asks the first question.

"You mean besides a drenched Cheryl? Oh well there was a white tailed deer-"

"What were you doing there besides exploring?" I cut him off with a roll of my eyes.

"Nothing-"

"Don't lie, Doiley. I talked to one of your scouts and they told me everything. I just want to hear you say it." I smile widely.

He takes in a deep breath, staring at his hands. "If you publish a story saying I fired that gun then my life will be ruined-"

"Wait, what? What gun?" Betty immediately asks, confused.

"Go ahead, tell her." I motion for Dilton to speak. I like this feeling, the feeling of calling someone out. I can tell just by the fire in her eyes that Betty does too. We're both anxious to please the curiosity inside us.

"I was with my scouts on July fourth, showing them how to shoot properly. If no one else showed them, they'd be gonners. I was only trying to teach them how to survive." He explains. "I was the one that fired the shot."

"And you didn't tell this to the police?" Betty asks incredulously.

"Because, I have a better story. But, if I tell you, you have to promise not to say anything about the gunshot." He proposes.