♕ | Chapter Nine

_____________________

Chapter Nine: I spy

Jughead

THERE IS NOTHING worse than watching someone you care about drive themselves down the wrong path. I could feel it. Betty could feel it. It was a sick and consuming guilt that we had no control of, eating at us every day, piece by piece as we watched Archie Andrews make the same mistakes over and over again.

I truly believe Betty gave up on Archie today. As I walked her home this afternoon, she stayed quiet, kept to herself. I didn't mind the silence; I let myself enjoy her presence. Whenever we were together we didn't always feel the need to talk. Sometimes all we needed was to know the other was right there.

In all honesty I don't believe Archie is being very fair. He's so blinded by his so called love for Ms.Grundy that he's failed to see the big picture. He's failed to see that Betty still cares for him, that she is still trying to protect him. He doesn't really know Ms.Grundy, and Betty was only trying to warn him today. Nobody really knows her. She kinda just appeared which is the exact reason I feel so curious of finding about her past.

To make my life even worse, the town is shutting down the drive-in for good, which means they're destroying my home as well. I practically grew up watching movies. It's quite literally where I live, in the roof of the building where the movies project. I found peace in there, a place away from my disaster of a home that my father lives in.

I of course never mention anything to Betty or Archie, afraid they'll call the cops or make a big deal about it. My father could get charged or I could get taken away seeing as he doesn't provide for me all that much. He's not in a good place right now, loosing his job and all which is partly the reason my sister Jellybean and my mom moved out. They offered to take me with them where ever they were going, but I declined saying I wanted to support my dad.

That's not all a lie. I want my father to get better, to sober up and to get our family back together, but I also didn't want to leave this town as strange as that sounds. This town is my home, and all my friends are here. Secretly I wanted to stay because of Betty. I couldn't imagine waking up every morning and not seeing her in the school hallways. It just isn't how I want to live, which is why I chose to stay in town with my father whist actually living in the movie drive-in building.

I have the perfect movie planned out for the final viewing, a real classic; Rebel Without A Cause. It was Betty's suggestion, and right after she said it I couldn't refuse. I couldn't picture playing any other movie on the theatre's last viewing.

It's now dark, the theatre filled with cars, filled with teens, and families all waiting to watch one last movie at the drive-in. I feel slightly guilty that I didn't try hard enough to save the theatre, that I didn't dig far enough to discover who bought the land. All I know is Archie's father signed a contract to help construct the land and build who knows what, all the while putting another Jones out a job. I like to tell myself I'm no longer salty about Archie's dad firing my dad, but deep down I am.