♕ | Chapter Forty-Four

chapter forty-four: dinner party

betty

*50+ Votes Until Next Chapter*

I'VE HAD a terrible mix of emotions balled in the pit of my stomach for the past few days. This week has been relatively normal. Too normal. So normal in fact, it feels wrong. I feel as if we're on the balance of a teeter-totter once again, unsure if we're about to lean against the side of peace or absolute chaos.

I've been so busy lately, preparing and planning for the homecoming dance- that just so happens to be tonight. Apparently nobody else in the school really wants to take the time to plan such an extraordinary event, leaving all the responsibility to fall on me. I wouldn't really want them to anyways to be honest, as they'd probably do it all wrong. I like being in control. Plus, it gives me something to do.

If I didn't have the Blue & Gold or homecoming to plan, I would be left to confront my family, feed my mother information seeing as she's part of our little Scooby-Doo murder mystery group now. I'd have to focus on the mystery of Jason Blossoms's death, and worse, my own dark thoughts. Keeping myself busy put everything else in the background, allowed me to postpone the reality that in the future I'd have to face all of the above.

I'm going to have to face the fact that Polly may never come back. I'm going to have to realize that Jason's murder might never be solved, and all my hard work was for nothing. I'm going to have to face the cold, hard truth that something is very wrong with me.

But, today ain't that day.

Today is the homecoming dance, the time of the year where we students put one night aside to look pretty and have fun without actually worrying about school. It's a dip into an alternative reality, a saviour to most students...except for Jughead.

Jughead is one of the few kids that despises homecoming, hates anything to do with dancing or dressing up. He avoids anything that involves vast groups of people, anything that forces him so socialize on a major scale, outside of his friend group. I'm pretty sure he's already booked something the night of prom just to give him an excuse not to go.

However, I plan on forcing him to go to prom, seeing as I've already forced him to come tonight. It wasn't easy, I'll admit to that, but I got it done. I wouldn't be Betty Cooper if I didn't.

Tonight is suppose to be stress free, full of fun and absolute freedom. I spent the whole afternoon with Jughead and a few others, setting up the gymnasium for tonight's dance. I felt so good about tonight, right until Jughead told me that apparently he and his father were coming over to our house for dinner before the dance tonight.

Quite frankly, I'm not surprised that my mother arranged a dinner party behind my back . She wouldn't be Alice Cooper if she didn't.

"What the hell, mom?" I shout, storming through the front door.