♕ ı Chapter Eleven

___________________

___________________

Chapter Eleven: safe haven

jughead

I HAD DONE   such a good job at keeping it a secret, keeping my friends out of my personal business. Before as kids it use to always be about my treehouse, but as we grew older things changed, and we started hanging out at public places, the treehouse being forgotten until one day it was left behind. My family fell apart, my dad turned into an alcoholic and my sister and mother ran away. I had done such a good job at keeping it all a secret, yet deep down I knew if anyone was going to find out, it was going to be Betty.

I didn't want her to know I was living in some old, crusty movie theatre building with no heat or even a refrigerator. I could handle myself. I didn't want to be a burden to Betty, to make my problems her problems. In fact, I already had my next living quarters planned out. I was thinking of turning the little closet underneath one of the stairways in the school into a little hideout.

But, Betty found out the truth just before I could make the move, and now she's bringing me to her house where she plans to give me a place to stay. I'm hesitant about staying, as I don't want her to get in trouble. I don't want to be difficult, to be a pain. I've been living on my own for a while, and this new environment will be different. I'm not sure if I'm ready.

"Betty," I say, stopping as we reach the front door of her house.

"Hmm?" She turns around, her eyes still smudged slightly with black eyeliner. I don't believe she slept with make-up on. It's not smudged like that. It's smudged in faint streaks down her face. As if caused by tears.

"I-I don't know if this is a good idea." I confess, tapping my foot against the ground as I stare at her house. It's so big, so taunting.

"Juggie," Betty sighs, walking closer to me. "I'm not about to let you surf couches or seek a temporary home in some other scrap yard when I can give you one right here." She smiles kindly. It's a small genuine smile, the kind that can make your heart feel warmer. She really wants to help me, and she's making it impossible to argue. "Come on." She encourages, nodding towards the door.

"But your parents..." I trail off, awkwardly trying to find the words.

"They aren't home right now. It's fine, trust me." She chuckles, clearly amused at my nervousness. I smile faintly as I look down at my shoes, shyly making my way up the steps and into her extravagant house.

"Wow." I stand there in shock, taking it all in.

The whole house seems to be in pristine condition, as if it's one of those houses from those home magazines, or renovation shows. All the windows are open, allowing natural light to flow through. The colour theme of the furniture precisely matches the colour painted upon the walls. It's like I've walked into some Barbie fantasy house.