♕ | Chapter Sixteen

______________

______________

chapter sixteen: no church on this sunday

betty

JUGHEAD and I had opened up a brand new door for ourselves. It was a door that could lead us straight to the gates of hell, or it could lead us to the beginning of solving the gigantic puzzle we had put together surrounding the murder of Jason Blossom.

Before we had only suspects, but now we had a story. We now knew there was something deeper than Jason suddenly going missing; he must have been on the run, but the only question that remained was from who, and why?

It just so happens that we are well on our way of entering a house that was composed of many doors, and we just had to pick the right one- literally. Our plan was to find Jason's room in hopes of finding something he may have left behind. As Jughead says, dead men tell no tales. Our only hope is to find something that may answer our questions; something that nobody else has noticed.

I managed to get Veronica's mom to pick Jughead and I up, and drive us to the funeral. I wasn't in the mood to sit in a car confined with my father and mother after last night, nor do I feel ready to talk to Archie, so getting a ride with him and his dad wasn't an option. Thankfully Veronica was willing to persuade her mom for us.

We walk towards the entrance of the Blossom mansion, all of us in our best black, formal attire. Hermione leaves for a while to speak to all the crude adults, allowing Veronica, Jughead and myself to make our way into the building where we quickly find the rest of our gang. In a room full of gingers, my eyes immediately go to one in particular.

"Hey guys." Archie smiles, standing up to greet us. "Betty." He greets.

"Hey." I say, clearing my throat awkwardly.

"You look nice, Betty." Archie states, although I know his smile is forced. I know him well enough to tell what is a forced smile and what is natural.

"Thanks." I say politely. For a moment I feel like maybe Archie and I can actually mend things between the two of us, or at least work on our friendship.

"Hey Betty!" Valerie says, suddenly appearing beside Archie. She slings her arm on Archie's shoulder, casually leaning on him, but I know it isn't a friendly gesture. It seems more intimate.

I gulp and grit my teeth, all the anger and frustration I felt for Archie a day ago flooding back in. Last night I had defended him, wanted to protect him from the pain of having to let Ms.Grundy go. It appears that doesn't matter now as it seems even the scandalous Geraldine can be replaced.

"That didn't take long." I blurt out, mixing my thoughts with my verbal words. I didn't mean to say that aloud, but I don't feel guilty about it either.