♕ | Chapter Twenty-One

________________

________________

chapter twenty-one: reality check

betty

I LAY HERE, waiting for my parents to show. I just want to get this conversation over with. I just want to confront them, to let them know that I am not the younger daughter that needs saving, nor do I need to be protected from the truth. I hate hiding from the truth, and crave exposing it. I guess if you want to be a journalist, you need to have that belief. Seeing as both my parents work for the newspaper, they should know better.

I told Jughead to climb up back into the attic, as I know my parents will show any minute now seeing as the sun has set and they're both home from work. With the information we gathered about the car, I know we can prove Polly's story, and I know that if we find the car, we can change things for real this time. We've planned on starting our expedition for the car tomorrow night, seeing as if we skip another day of school, it will be more than just our parents that will become suspicious, but our friends as well. Archie and Veronica have been nonstop texting us today, but I've ignored them both.

"Betty?" My mother calls as she storms up the stairs.

I close my eyes for the final few seconds of peace I have before both my parents walk into my room. I gulp, forcing my eyes open and preparing for a fight.

"I think it's time we talk as a family about what happened today." My mother begins, standing at the foot of my bed with her arms crossed across her chest.

"Just what were you thinking Betty? Why would you go there after all we've done to keep you from her? What did you expect!" My father questions, baffled by it all.

"Polly needed to hear the truth, and I did too!" I admit, leaning up against the pillows on my bed.

"So, did you find what you were looking for?" My father asks calmly.

I pause, thinking if I truly discovered what Jughead and I wanted to discover. We did not come out with any solid answers, nor did we solve the bigger picture of who actually killed Jason. All we came out with were clues, leads to take on which ultimately may lead us to the truth.

"To be honest dad, no I didn't." I reply honestly. "You hate the Blossoms. You hated Jason, and now Polly is pregnant with Jason's baby! That gives you a motive." Before I realize what I've said, I've already spit it out. I guess that's the main vulnerability with anger; it often exposes the truths and secretes people often hide. It's almost like some truth serum.