♕ | Chapter Forty-Five

chapter forty-five: let's dance in rain to drown out all our tears

*50+ Votes until next chapter*

betty

THE CLASSIC, stereotypical high school dance consists of a gymnasium filled with balloons, disco lights, a DJ, a snack stand and of course, the thunderous teenagers . As soon as I step into the gymnasium, my heart immediately melts. I'm a loser for high school dances. I'm a loser for anything that involves typical high school things really. I love when my life reflects that of an 80s chick-flick. The one where the ass of a jock falls in love with the kind, innocent school girl who also happens to be a beautiful cheerleader. The ones that are filled with so much drama yet everyone ends up happy in the end. I'm a sucker for that sort of stuff.

I mean, it wasn't even three months ago I was swarming over the idea that Archie and I could have that sort of relationship. I fantasized over him draping his variety jacket over my shoulders, the two of us being the ultimate power couple of Riverdale high.

In a way Jughead and I fit the stereotypical high school couple too. We're two people from opposite ends of town, both from different backgrounds and groups, yet we were brought together by the one of our favourite things; writing. Through that one simple thing we were able to form a relationship stronger than anything I've ever seen. He's my anchor and I'm his rock. We're an odd pairing- as we've discussed before- but that's what makes us so wonderful. Wonderfully strong.

My hand instinctively grips Jughead's hand and gives it a squeeze, excitement blooming within me. I glance over at him with a grin on my face in which he reciprocates, the two of us making our way through the crowds of people with an unstoppable force. The two of us alone already hold the potential to be dangerous, each of us strong in our own way. Put us together and we create an explosion, like dynamite and a match.

"Where do you think they are?" I ask, nearly yelling over the loud music.

"I don't know." Jughead replies, knowing exactly who I'm talking about. Archie and Veronica are no where in sight. We make our way over to the snack table, seeing as neither of us really ate during dinner. It was kind of hard to swallow the roast beef when my mother was infusing hot tension down our throats.

For some reason I begin to become stressed, as my plan of all of us being here isn't working out right. When my plans get wrecked, I become wrecked. When things aren't perfect or just the way I want them, I become panicked. This of course causes me to shove loads of potato chips from the food table into my mouth for comfort, hoping this will help pass the time. I've no doubt resorted to stress eating.

"Relax, Betty." Jughead notices my mouth stuffed full with chips, brushing off some of the crumbs that have managed to slide onto my dress. "They'll be here soon."