Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Maverick's POV

I was very distracted today, things kept clouding my mind. I needed to head to my class before I got a tardy. I heard a yell and paused, it was Cassy yelling at Ella. How could she do that to poor Ella Rose? Then I saw her look towards me for a split second, tears streaming down her sweet face. She looked scared and pained.

She looked away, then fell on the floor like a rag doll. I wanted to go to her, but my feet were stuck in place. I shook my head to clear it. Then thought about Ella and went to her, everyone in the hall was silent. It was almost eerie how quickly they quieted. I walked behind Ella and pulled her towards me from her position on the floor. When she was curled in a ball, she was so tiny I felt the need to hold her, so I did the next best thing. I hugged her from behind, hoping she would find some comfort in me.

When I pulled her to her feet she leaned against me, using me like a giant teddy bear. I couldn't help but chuckle at this action, she was too cute for her own good. We stayed in that position for no longer than a second. She looked behind her and noticed that I was the one holding her. She stood up and put her weight on her feet, too fast, and fell. I was lucky that I hadn't moved my arms yet, so I easily caught her. She was as light as a feather. I let out another chuckle, I couldn't help it. Oh my Ella, what is wrong?

I looked down as I heard a sound. Ella's shoe had fallen off, and bandages covered her foot. I glance at the other foot and see more of the same. There was blood coating those bandages, leaving hardly any white. I freaked out, I needed to sit down, now. I pulled Ella down with me. At this point, everyone seemed to remember what they were doing and went back to their lives. They didn't even spare a glance at us sitting on the dirty floor. I still held Ella, cradled in my lap. She fit perfectly as if she was meant to be there.

I started to pull off the wrappings, but she tried to push my hands away. It was a half-hearted attempt, though. The wraps finally came off, and what lay underneath them was far more serious than I could ever imagine. I had to bring her to a doctor, she had no toes for goodness sake. I carried her to the nurse, I had to be strong for her. Tears still streamed down her face and I gently brushed them off.

The nurse opened the door when I knocked. She freaked out when she saw Ella's toes, her face turning white. I lay her on the bed. Ella refused to let me go. So I just sat next to her. The nurse didn't shoo me out, instead focused on Ella's feet. Underneath the bandages on her other foot as well, every single toe was gone. I looked at Ella's face as she looked down, tears kept running down her face. I lifted her chin and wiped away the tears. She just kept weeping, both her and my shirts were stained with tears, but all I could do was hold her.

An ambulance was called and they whisked Ella away, I wasn't family so they would not let me ride with her. I wanted to stay by her side, but I was not my decision to make. They closed the doors and started to speed off when the doors opened once again. I hopped on, quickly, wondering what had made them change their minds. I glanced through the windows, and there stood Cassy. She was crying and looking completely lost.

Throughout the ride, Ella would not let go of my hand. Despite the paramedic's pleas, Ella fell asleep. I watched over her, wondering why she would hold onto my hand so tightly, and why me. Trying not to move, I let her sleep what little time she could. During the ride, she turned over, still holding my hand in a death grip, and caused me to fall over onto her small frame. This was going to be a long ride.