FORTY ONE

Mga hikbi ni Sue ang nanaig sa kwarto. I don't know if I was wrong for barging in or if I have executed my right for doing so. Ang hilingin na sana'y nagkamali ako ng rinig ay huli na. From how my sister's moist eyes shied away and Wilmer's anger, a surefire sight that I heard him all right.

I don't have to ask the questions. Paliwanag ang kailangan ko mula sa dalawa. My mind treaded back to highschool trying to trace some proof regarding with these two. Ganon sila kagaling maglihim na ni-walang nakakaalam sa kung anong namagitan sa kanila?

For being the favored victim of the truth that loves to elude is beyond me. Kung sino man itong mga karugtong ng daloy ng dugo ko ay doon pa ako nito pinagtataguan. Maybe I have not cared enough and just got satisfied with the truth I know when it was not even all there is to it.

Dean's arms slithered along my slim waist. Kaagad sumunod ang mainit niyang hininga nang bumulong sa akin, "Ruth, let them talk in private first."

I fought the shivers it brought to my skin and brave my way into his stare. His green slits are deliberate and cautious while mine's already with an accusation.

Before I could voice it out, he beat me into speaking. "Let them sort this out then you talk to them after."

I stared at him longer than necessary. How could he let other people have their matters be fixed when he wouldn't even allow to settle ours? Us talking and his enmity for me seemed to be just another relic in the sand dunes but it's indisputable that we're halfway of a loose end.

Sa muli kong pagbaling sa dalawa ay hindi na sila makatingin sa akin. Wilmer's glaring on the floor while setting his muscled arms akimbo. Si Sue na sumisinghot pa rin ay nakahalukiphip at tila ba naghihintay silang mapag-isa. I begin to understand their need for privacy the second I saw their reactions.

Binitawan ko ang doorknob at naramdaman ang pagdulas ng kamay ni Dean sa aking baywang nang tumalikod ako at bumaba ng hagdan. I heard him shut the door and he was quickly to get hot on my heels.

"You look mad," aniya habang nakasunod. The loud pounding of his footfalls declared how near he was from me.

Umikot ako upang maharap siya. Mukha pa siyang nagulat at agad na huminto.

"You knew."

Hindi iyon tanong ngunit simple siyang umiling.

I lifted my chin higher. "How come? He's your bestfriend."

Nag-angat siya ng kilay. The way he recoiled with that slight surprise in his face was as though my statement had delivered a baby of ridiculous proportions. If not because of this serious entirety I would've laughed at him.

"And how come to you, too. She's your sister," ganti niya at halos matawa.

Uminit ang pisngi ko kasabay ng aking pag-iwas dahil sa hiya. Right. Nagsasalita na naman ang iritasyon ko para sa akin at pinapangunahan ang aking lohiko. As I let my emotions overtake, I want my rationality to stay close behind until it finishes on top of the line.

Huminga ako nang malalim at binagsak ang sarili sa sofa. Mabilis akong hinagkan ng pagod at plano ko na sanang magpahinga. But to rest was just the expectation while I was on my way here. To confront all of these is the reality.

Tiningala ko ang kuwarto kung saan ko iniwan ang dalawa. I heard murmurs and slight raise of voices but I couldn't make out their words. Muntik na akong sumugod nang makarinig ng pagbagsak ng gamit. Nagtama ang paningin namin ni Dean na nakatayo pa rin sa harap ko.

I couldn't read what's beneath the serious entirety of his eyes. They lured me to step into those green pools with a brown center just to take a swim in his infinite thoughts but drowning as of now is not my priority. The present and my rationality became my lifeguards.