Chapter 9

I wipe a stray tear from my eye as I put my last few books in my suitcase. Today, we go off the grid.

"Are you ready Natalie?" Mom peeks her head in my room, looking at the pile of bags by my door. I nod reluctantly.

I sling two bags over my shoulder, and roll the other two bags behind me. Dad grabs one from me, and we grab anything leftover.

I look back on the apartment. This is the last time I will see this room for who knows how long. "We have to go, Natalie." Dads says, putting a hand on my shoulder.

We walk out of the doors for the last time.

°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●

"This way. We will have someone else grab your bags and bring them to your safe house." A woman explains as we climb out of the car. I see other men pop open the trunk and grab our things. 

The car was parked near a forest, and we are supposed to walk to the safe house. Once we are all out, the woman starts leading us through the woods. 

There are large piles of leaves and twigs everywhere, that crunch under my combat boots. We walk for so long my legs begin to get sore. 

"We are almost there Natalie, don't worry." Dad says, grabbing my hand. "I hope." 

The woman takes a sharp turn, and I spot her lifting something up. We turn into a hidden door, covered in leaves. I go in right behind the woman, and there is a long, old stairway that goes down farther than I can see. 

"Why does it take so long to get there?" I complain. "Oh your fine Natalie. You aren't gonna die." Mom says, pushing me forward. 

I roll my eyes, continuing down. Dad is behind me, and Mom behind him. The men who grabbed our things went another way. 

Finally, I spot light at the bottom of the stairs. I speed up, and I am amazed at what I see. It looks like hundreds of people, and the area is huge. It reminds me of the pit, but it looks more safe. 

My eyes are as wide as saucers. She leads us down a more dim hall, and after one or two turns she opens up a large door.

We are all amazed by the room. There is a large living room, with two hallways leading to separate rooms. There is a TV, and small kitchen nook, enough for a mini fridge, microwave and some cabinets.

"The main cafeteria is on the main level of The Center." The woman says. I dont hear her much, I already started running through the house.

I find the master bedroom, which will be my parents. They have white and grey sheets and walls, with a huge bed, matching nightstands, and a small TV. The bathroom has a jacuzzi and double vanity.

When I finish looking in there, I run to my new room. I am in awe. It has lavender and black decor, with lavender walls and a black nightstand.  My bed is a queen size, and my bathroom is kind of big, with a soaker tub.

This may be better than my own house, but that doesn't me I won't miss it.

Once Mom and Dad finish looking around, we head to the cafeteria so the workers can put our stuff away.

The food there reminds me of the Dauntless food, it even has Dauntless cake! I grab a coke, a chicken salad, and 4 pieces of cake. Yes they are all for me.

I sit down beside Nadia when I find her. We dont say anything, there isn't much I want to talk about now. I see Shaylee walk over here, and then Uriahs son, Mark, and daughter, Rebekah.

I think we are all in the same mood right now. We all of our good quietly, before anyone says anything.

"So... is everyone ok?" Mark says. For a second, I laugh. I dont know where it came from.

"Ok? OK!  Look at my leg!," I swing it over the seat. "We are being hunted by a psycho lady, and now people just locked us away. It's awful!"

I put my head in my hands, millions of thoughts running through my mind. Nadia puts her arm around me,"I think that's what everyone wanted to say. Thank you. For getting it out there."

I push her arm off of me, and walk out. I just have to be alone. I run down the halls, I don't really know where. I hear any footsteps disappear behind me.

I find a new door, that I haven't seen. Behind it, I find a gym that reminds me of the one Mom and Dad showed me.

There is only one other person, and he is on the other side of the room. I just go into a separate area, which has punching bags.

I might be small like my mom, but I have my dads strength. I toss my jacket on the floor, and grab some gloves from a rack.

I keep hitting it, over and over. I never get tired, just keep going, taking out everything. Hit. Hit. Hit.

Everything is a blur. When my fists finally start to wear out, I step back, and wipe my forehead. The other man left, leaving only me. I put the gloves back, and toss my jacket across my shoulder. The clock reads 7, which means I have been here for 2 hours.

I take a drink from the water fountain, and walk out. I walk down the a hall, until I find somewhere familiar.

The cafeteria is closed, but I walk around it till I find the path where we walked from our home.

My footsteps and breathing are the only sounds I can hear. I knock on our door.

Mom answers, and does nothing but pulls me in and hugs me. I squeeze her harder than I ever have before. I dont know when, or why, but I start crying. Every thing breaks down inside of me, even if I don't want it to.

"Dad is asleep. Tommorow it can be just you and me. Ok honey?" She whispers. I nod, and pull back, wiping my eyes.

"I love you."

Mom gives me a kiss on the cheek, and then I walk to my new bedroom. Honestly, things will never be okay again.