Chapter 27

"Mom, Eliza is hungry!" I yell out, bouncing her while she lays in my arms crying. 

"It's okay little one, big sis has got you!" I coo, holding her little hand. 

It's three in the morning, so I can hear Mom stumble around the dark apartment to Eliza's room. "What?" She responds groggily. 

Eliza starts to stop crying when she sees Mom. She looks bad, dark circles under her eyes, messy hair, and Dad's shirt and some sweat pants on. 

She takes Eliza in her arms, doing exactly what I did as she walks out to the kitchen. I go back to my room, and try to go back to sleep. Unsuccessfully. 

I sit up, and grab my phone. After I wake up in the middle of the night, I can never really get back to bed. I see if I have any notifications, and lucky for me, ten minutes ago Blake texted asking if I was up. 

Hey Nat. Can't sleep. U up? 

Yeah, Eliza was screaming, what's up? 

Mom and I got into a fight, just a little stressed. Wanna go hang out by the chasm? 

Sure, meet u in fifteen? 

Yeah

I put down my phone, and quietly go over to my closet to see what I can put together. I find a white tank top and some ripped denim shorts. I put on my black sneakers and quietly leave. To my luck, Mom has already gotten Eliza back in bed. 

I grab my key and phone and open the door, carefully slipping out. I walk as quietly as I can through the compound, so I don't wake anybody up. The sound of crashing water against rocks because louder as I approach. 

I get to the bridge, feeling the splashes of water over me. I sit at the edge of the unrailed part of the bridge, getting soaked in the spray. 

"Natalie?" Blake says from behind me, almost making me slip off. 

I stumble, standing up, "Hey babe." 

He gives me a hug, and I squeeze him tightly. 

"How have the twins been?" He asks when I pull away. 

I shrug, "They are literally a week old, they cry, eat, sleep and poop. That's about it." 

He laughs, "They are still your sisters." 

"And of course I love them. Besides me, what were you and your Mom fighting about?" 

Blake gets a little angry, "She got mad because I hadn't told her I developed another power, so now I have Earth, Fire, and Ice. She thought if I would have told her then we would be living in the new DPA safety house." 

I shake my head, "She shouldn't have gotten mad. We all have guards now anyways, and Jeanine's dead." 

We both sit down on the edge of the bridge again. I lean on his shoulder, and he keeps his arm around mine. 

"Natalie?" 

"Yeah?" 

"Can you freeze the chasm?" 

I shoot my head up, laughing, "What?" 

"Can you. Freeze. The. Chasm." 

I have no idea why he even thought of this, but whatever. 

"It would take both of us, but probably. Why?" 

He shrugs, laughing, "It would be funny for people to wake up to it frozen." 

"I mean, this is Dauntless. My Uncle Zeke and Uriah would probably slip, but I guess we could make railings." I say, looking around. 

"Well, let's do it then." Blake stands up, and pulls me up as well.