Chapter 44

I'm awoken by Blake gently nudging my arm, signaling that a nurse is approaching us. Eliza yawns, stretching out her arms. Ashlen is still half asleep, leaning her small head against Blake's arm. 

The nurse approaches us, not looking as excited as I would hope. "You are the relatives of Mrs. Eaton, yes?" 

I nod, "Yeah, we are. What's the news?" 

She looks down, avoiding eye contact, "Your parents would like, only Natalie, to come in." 

I stand, stretching my tired muscles, "Alright, Blake, you stay here with the girls." 

The nurse leads me back to an elevator, where we go the the maternal wing. We walk silently, knowing there are sleeping babies and stressed mother's through this entire level. Finally, she turns into a room near the end of the hall, carefully pushing open the door. 

"Natalie? You're finally here?" Mom mumbles, seemingly out of it. 

"She's on a bit of pain medication, there was some lingering pain after delivery." The nurse explains, leading me in. 

I nod, sitting at the edge of her bed, "How are you feeling Mom? Where's my little brother?" 

She cowers back a little, leaning more into the bed, "I'm okay. We're okay." 

Dad takes my hand, "Natalie, he wasn't breathing when he was delivered." 

I take in a sharp breath, eyes already welling with moisture, "But, he'll be okay, right?" 

He looks down, "We don't know yet, sweetie. What's important is to stay strong, for your mother, and your little brother." 

I clench my fist, wanting to punch a hole in the wall. 

"Nat? When did you get here?" Mom cocks her head, staring at me. 

"Morphine," Dad tells me, "And Tris, honey, she's been here for a few minutes." 

"Oh, did you tell her..." Mom's voice trails off, and her gaze drifts to a corner.

"They gave her too much, she's a bit loopy." 

"I can tell." I mutter, fiddling my fingers. 

The next hour is quiet, mainly just the occasional check up on Mom, but I don't have the heart to say a word about the new  baby. Just knowing that we were all so excited for this, and for him not to be breathing, it's heartbreaking. Mom is finally coming too, after asking when I got here for thirty minutes straight. 

A nurse walks in to double check her vitals, before announcing, "He is stable. Your son is in the NICU, and Four, you may visit him. I'll get consent to see if we can wheel you over Mrs. Eaton." 

"What about me?" I ask, eager. 

She sighs, "I believe we just need parent consent for you to come in and see him." 

"Of course." Mom immediately answers. 

The nurse get's confirmation from the doctor, so Dad and I help Mom get into a wheel chair. The nurse wheel's Mom, with us following, to another wing. We pass by a few rooms, where monitors make faint noises and quiet whines pass by. 

"Right over here," The nurse instructs, scanning her badge to open the door, "You ought to be quiet, he is most likely sleeping."

We walk in, and I'm immediately met with a combination of joy and worry. His face is precious, Mom's nose, Dad's lips, and adorably chubby cheeks. His hair is a wispy dirty blonde. His poor little fingers and toes are blue, but the color is full in his rosy cheeks.